Wiki Posts
Search

Camera Settings

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Camera Settings

Over the last couple of weeks, my dad has been coming down to my race meets to try and get some good photo shots of the racing.

He has a manual digital camera, and was just wondering what shutter speed and aperature people use for their shots.

I race modified touring cars, and he wants to try and get the pictures with the car in the foreground in focus and the background a bit blurry.

I hope that makes sense, but not know anything about photograph, its a bit hard for me to explain.

Cheers
Ben
Old 08-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Try using a shutter speed between 1/320 and 1/800. The slower you go, the better the background blur gets, but the harder it is to get the car itself crisp, and vice versa.

Check out the racing pictures on my website (link in signature) - you can click on "more details: exif" under each photo to view my camera settings. Hopefully this will get you and your dad to a good starting point.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited by SoCalLosiRacer; 08-02-2006 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 AM
Tech Addict

There are a few examples on here oople action photo tips with shutter speed and aperture settings shown.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Thanks guys for the help. I'll let you know how he goes.
Ben
Old 08-30-2006, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Default Pics

Birky, come see me next time i'm at Rypers with my gear, and i'll show you some tips.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:19 AM
Tech Master

Thanks KB, I will do.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SoCalLosiRacer
Try using a shutter speed between 1/320 and 1/800. The slower you go, the better the background blur gets, but the harder it is to get the car itself crisp, and vice versa.

Check out the racing pictures on my website (link in signature) - you can click on "more details: exif" under each photo to view my camera settings. Hopefully this will get you and your dad to a good starting point.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
What you really need to do is open the shutter up more to blur the background. F5.6 and then telephoto (zoom in) on the car will blur the background. Be careful though, at f5.6 you are letting alot of light in, you will need to make sure your camera can shoot fast, outside at f5.6 on a sunny day your shutter will be around 500th-1000th of a second. Trust me, I am a professional photographer and do this work everyday. You really need a manual camera to really accomplish this, if you shoot around f11-f16 everything will be in focus, shoot around f22 you will have pretty no depth of field, you can blur the background around f8 if your good!

Shoot me any questions about photography, one thing I do know well!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Remember this. That an aperture of f/22 is small but one of f/5.6 is large.

If you want some stop action shots your going to want the shutter speed 250 or higher.

What camera is he actually using and what lenses.