Wiki Posts
Search

MyLaps Transponder

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MyLaps Transponder

I am not looking to purchase one, but will trade for one (see below). I am trying to determine if people I know are getting good deals, or getting fakes. I see them Used for very close to the same price MyLaps asks new. Is this due to their resale value staying high or what? I hear of people at my track getting them for 20-30 used, but I have yet to see one less than 65 and it had a crack in the casing! Am I over looking something or are they getting fakes, getting lucky, or just lying?

I do not know if my track has updated their system yet or not, and it is possible that fakes are used, however, I don't know if they will update or when they will update if they have not yet.

I hate paying for something I feel isn't worth it, and honestly $90 for a small digital circuit that has less than $2 in materials mass produced just bothers me.

I would trade something non-RC related for a MyLaps Hybrid however, it wouldn't feel as bad to me. Just let me know in PM what you are interested in and I may have it as I sell constantly on ebay. (If I trade I would want you to have a high number of not only feedback but posts on the forum. Would also want to send you $1 on Paypal, and you do the same to me so I may have record of who you are, and like wise with me.) I will ship first, but only if this is done first as I know I have no feedback. I would ship Priority Mail 2-3 day which comes with up to $50 in insurance and tracking. I would also ship within a business day. I would request the same in return. If you take more than 2 days to give me a tracking number I will not take it lightly as this has happened to me on this site already and will not tolerate it again.

I am an avid seller on ebay and am very particular on how I ship items and request the same respect in return, also can private message you my account page to you to give some ease of mind that I am punctual.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 AM
THG
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

If you shop on ebay a lot you know that they are not going for $20-$30..
I tend to laugh at the fact that we don't want to pay for transponders but will pay $50-$60+ for a set of tires that last a race or two..
Good luck on your search..
Old 10-19-2013, 05:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Tires are insane too, but as I said I see no way they get their transponders that cheap unless they are fakes.and even then its cheap comparatively.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

I'll say that I purchased a few My Laps in the $70-$80 range but never saw one posted for $20-30! AMB's may go a little cheaper but still not in that range. Good Luck in your search.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

MyLaps and or AMB transponders may be the best value in R/C as far as resale goes. I've sold probably 100 new transponders and 30 used and never in the $20-$30 range. It may be your friends are buying clones like the MRT's. But even those usually go for more than $30. Just my 0.2
Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Initiate

That's what I am thinking, as one was black. Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not crazy lol. I'll buy one once my next round of money comes through.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

they cost so much because there are like only 2 companies that make transponders for the system virtually every track uses therefore they know you will buy from them. also transponders are like a buy one time thing so they try to make the most money they can from the start.

if you know someone who knows electronics you could pretty easily have them copy the firmware from the transponder and build new ones...... whether that is ethical in your eyes or not is well.........