Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > R/C Items: Wanted to Buy
Unsure what to buy as first RC >

Unsure what to buy as first RC

Unsure what to buy as first RC

Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

To the OP, from the way it sounds you are probably best off saving up some money and buying a brand new RTR vehicle. It will come with everything you need to be up and running, and will have a warranty in case something goes wrong.

Buying a used vehicle is always a risk. There may be things that need to be fixed or replaced, it might not have everything you need to get up and running. You have to be prepared to fix any problems and put more money into a used vehicle, and as a newcomer you might not be ready for that. Most people are selling rollers on here, and you would need to buy radio gear, motor, ESC, servo, batteries and charger. This could very well end up costing as much as a new RTR, and all the stuff will be used with no warranty.

I say if you like the Slash, save up and buy a new RTR kit. Run it as stock for awhile until you learn the ins and outs of working on it and maintaining it, then start upgrading it a little bit at a time as money allows. It will take some patience to save up the money, but I think this approach will give you a more positive first experience entering the hobby.

In the meantime, read as much as you can on the forums. Learn about all the different parts of an RC vehicle and what they do. Learn how to maintain a vehicle, and the dos and don'ts of RC. The more you learn the better prepared you will be, and ultimately you will have a better experience.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by simplechamp
To the OP, from the way it sounds you are probably best off saving up some money and buying a brand new RTR vehicle. It will come with everything you need to be up and running, and will have a warranty in case something goes wrong.

Buying a used vehicle is always a risk. There may be things that need to be fixed or replaced, it might not have everything you need to get up and running. You have to be prepared to fix any problems and put more money into a used vehicle, and as a newcomer you might not be ready for that. Most people are selling rollers on here, and you would need to buy radio gear, motor, ESC, servo, batteries and charger. This could very well end up costing as much as a new RTR, and all the stuff will be used with no warranty.

I say if you like the Slash, save up and buy a new RTR kit. Run it as stock for awhile until you learn the ins and outs of working on it and maintaining it, then start upgrading it a little bit at a time as money allows. It will take some patience to save up the money, but I think this approach will give you a more positive first experience entering the hobby.

In the meantime, read as much as you can on the forums. Learn about all the different parts of an RC vehicle and what they do. Learn how to maintain a vehicle, and the dos and don'ts of RC. The more you learn the better prepared you will be, and ultimately you will have a better experience.
Okay, thanks, that makes sense. But do you mind giving me links on the slash? I cant seem to find one thats not $200.