Wiki Posts
Search

FS or Tr.: Hobbico SUPERSTAR .40 AIRPLANE

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Post FS or Tr.: Hobbico SUPERSTAR .40 AIRPLANE

Hey All,

Not sure if this is the right place but I've also got a Hobbico Superstar .40 size 4 RTF Airplane for sale or trade.

It's in decent shape. I bought it for my kid used. Idiot who owned it before me didn't know much about R/C. Was flown with a buddy box and crashed once and pro repaired once. Slight crack in the frame that was glued up and fixed right as far as I can tell.

I've taken it up once but I found out the hard way you can't fly Nitro in my country :-(. That and it's too much plane for my son. 4 channels, steerable nosewheel, the works. Something I dreamed about owning when I was his age. Now we're flying electric.

4 channel Futaba/Tower stick radio with a six channel Rx. Nicads on both ends that have been cycled correctly and are still good. I went through the OS engine and got a new needle valve for it. Engine starts easily and runs easily. Holds idle well once warm. Compression (pop) is absolutely fine and it runs smooth with 10% Nitro through it. About a gallon and a half total through it.

It's in decent shape. it has a bunch of little pin holes in the covering that are correctly covered over with covereite adhesive patches but the covering is still tight and the wing is sound and never cracked or damaged that I can tell. Wing comes apart for transport and is VERY strong.

It's VERY quiet. I was taxiing it at my local HS and there was a dog about 10 feet away playing and the engine even at full run-up didn't bother the dog. From 10-20 feet away you can barely hear the engine.

Idiot who owned it before me for about 6 months put a "goo" adhesive blue covering pattern on the front of the wing. Otherwise it's all white. It's cool if you're younger than I am I guess......Doesn't affect weight or flyability at all.

I replaced a bunch of stuff including the fuel tubing etc. to make sure it was good. And I've got an unbuilt flight box for it as well as a bunch of newer xtras.

I also have a "six shooter" reversible fuel pump for it and an unopened quart bottle of Wildcat fuel I think. Also have an almost new Nosecone starter and a couple of nosecones and whatever else came with it including a charger for both the Tx and Rx nicads at the same time with lights. I can throw in some xtra A3 glowplugs for it and even a nosecone starter. Wife wants it gone.

It's a very good starter plane imho. As is, it'll do a loop but you have to get some altitude first. It'll do a sloppy barrel roll but you do lose altitude. It's controllable in up to 25mph winds though. I flew it in gusting 15+ mph winds on it's check flight. Ran about 1/2 a tank through it before landing and after fixing everything on it. Bought the nosecone starter because I got tired of chicken sticking it. Lousy way to spend and afternoon. Engine's either a little tight or doesn't like cold starts. I hear OS 40's are like that.

My kid was too scared of crashing it to touch it and at 10 he didn't like the noise up close. We're flying electric now. :-) IMHO there IS no such thing as "virtually unbreakable foam" LOL. It IS a good trainer though. Not perfect, not especially pretty but it flies straight and is in decent shape. Been sitting for at least a year.

If you put in a $50+ gyro system theoretically you'd never crash. The radio DOES have the buddy box port but no cord. If you have a local club than just take it out there. Best way to learn how to fly is to find someone who knows how and is patient. Always 1 good egg in every RC club. And you won't cry when your kid or you DOES dump it into the ground like if you bought a new one. I've been looking for another plane to strip the radio out and put it into but I can't find one that doesn't entail me buying all new mini/micro servos 4 electric....easier just to buy a new airplane radio....

Tower still sells this plane and it used to be their most popular trainer til they came out with the NextStar (same thing, better engine and a VERY mediocre gyro system installed and about $120 more new)

SuperStar's now cost $279.00 new plus I'm throwing in the pump, nose cone starter, flight box (you need to build it) and the stuff I added to the plane. Figure about an xtra $100 easy. If you want to teach your kid to fly without losing your wallet this is a good way to go. Tower's "Ultimate Combo" including all the stuff I added, minus the starter, xtra brand new nosecone (blue I think) and the xtra different pitch props and xtra glow plugs and fuel etc.would cost you about $360.00+. I'll go through it for whomever buys it before I mail it out to make sure everything is good as it's been sitting on the shelf for awhile...

Throw a trade at me if you want, I've listed what I want in my other ads. I can send interior and exterior pics so you can check the condition if you're serious. Or I'd take about $150 obo + shipping from CA for it. I'd keep it and fly it but out here in the Land of the Fee they take their local ordnances seriously!!! Even our ELECTRIC Sunday morning flying club got banned from the local field because ONE person complained and we NEVER hit anyone. Well, someone hit a car but he took care of it and paid for the repairs. Guy had never flown before and decided to fly it over the parking lot. Dumba**.

PM me for quickest result.

Happy Holidays,

IDS