Charger Power Supply

Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Charger Power Supply

I plan on upgrading the power supply in my computer soon to something that can support a bigger video card. And I could modify my current on to be used with a charger. My current one is around 400w and runs my system perfectly like I said only upgrading to accommodate more hardware. I can get pictures of my current one if you'd like and there's no need to worry about it being over heated at one point because it got filled with dust or something, because I'm a computer clean freak and vacuum my pc out monthly which would include power supply internals. I can get pictures and details specs of my current one if you'd like.

Pricing would go as this:
power supply itself: $13
$2-3 for banana jacks (I can put any kind of connector on there, banana jacks just seem common)
$5-10 for labor (depending on what you would like done)
finally shipping I'd be guessing it's around $7 all depending on your location but $7 seems to be a nice middle estimate.

total: $27-35 (depending on what is requested to be done also just an estimate)
basically materials+labor+shipping

and that's 1/2 the price of buying a similar power supply and the only thing you lose is a usb port and I could put one on if you'd like

For how you'd like it built I can have the banana jacks as part of the case like the one above in the hyperlink, I can also do dual 12v rails if you'd like to run dual chargers, and single or dual 5v rails (can also make a 5v rail into a usb like in above hyper link). I can make it however you'd like.

if you pm me or post up what you'd like done and your zip I can give you a final price

Thank you for your time. Please feel free to contact me.

Also I have feedback on beatyourtruck.com under the same user name as here, if your concerned about that.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Tech Adept

bump
Old 07-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

but what is the powersupply?
what current does it do on the 12volt rail?

do you actually have any experience with this? any photos of your work? pics of things you've soldered?

do you offer any warranty? or, when it fails, electrocutes and kills someone, will you simply disappear?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Adept

it is an hp 365w
it has two 12v rails one at 12A another at 14.5A

I do have experience with this I will try to either sort through my camera for pictures or get them once I get back (going camping for the weekend, still have internet though).

Not really sure what kind of a warranty I can offer but I will test it before I ship it out. I don't see it electrocuting someone if all the electronics are tucked away inside and not touching each other, also banana plugs are recessed. Therefore you'd have to try to get electrocuted. And I'll try to deal with any issues to the best of my ability.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

bump
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

As promised here are the pics of my power supply. t is a 400w dynex in case you're wondering.
In the pictures you may see additional holes drilled in the case. This is because I was trying to mount the plugs low enough so I could still have the fan on the inside and although I was able to do it, it was still too close to the internal parts of the power supply for my liking. So I decided to play it safe and mount the plugs high and the fan on the outside.
I also put a resistor between the two wires where the pc's power button would be instead of soldering them together.
I use all the 12v wires as you can see from the pictures, so you get the combined amperage from both rails.

Addressed to who ever asked about soldering: My soldering is much neater now that what is used to be, because I picked up those soldering helping hands, a better soldering iron (a weller no more radio shack) and a bunch of different tips for what ever use I may need them for. I also picked up a bulk package of various sized shrink tubing so I shrink tube every thing now. I also use the quick crimp terminals and it also helps to keep the plugs in place better. But I solder the wire on instead of crimping for a better connection. Also the part of the plugs that touches the case has fuel tubing around it for insulation from the case so it won't ground anything out.

External view:

External View 2

Resistor (white things is a zip tie to keep it in place)

Back of Banana Plugs and terminals (black is shrink tubing for solder joint and red was to hold the wires while I soldered because red is smaller)

Any other questions feel free to ask
Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

bump
Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

bump
Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

bump
Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

bump
Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

bump
Old 08-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

dude, no one wants this, it isn't worth the risk of them damaging their charger, getting electrocuted, or starting a fire!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AmmoJammo
dude, no one wants this, it isn't worth the risk of them damaging their charger, getting electrocuted, or starting a fire!

agreed...keep it as a back up. its nice to have 2 of anything just in case
Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,spark,pooooooooo oof
Old 08-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AmmoJammo
How to you figure this? Computers are Wayy more expensive then your RC stuff, and they use them to power them. If you are electrical savvy you can do anything you want. What he made here is NO different then what you can buy at the hobby store to power your charger, just not as pretty.

Don't be knocking peoples know-how.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.