Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > R/C Items: For Sale/Trade
Shipping a large nitro plane? HELP!!! >

Shipping a large nitro plane? HELP!!!

Shipping a large nitro plane? HELP!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Shipping a large nitro plane? HELP!!!

Has anyone here ever shipped a larger nitro airplane?
Reason I ask, I have one on here and I made a deal with someone for trades....I take the plane to the UPS store, I did not have a box that large. They said that they had a box we could use, though to ship to Canada from Cincinnati, would be $250. I asked about taking the top wing off and shipping in 2 seperate boxes. still only save me like 10 bucks.....whats with this.....the thing only weighs like 25 pounds.......I guess its simply size in cu. inches. He basically said that it is like shipping 125 pounds because of sheer size.
Im LOST?
how are you guys shipping planes?
He claims USPS wont touch it because of size. I mean this is nuts, its not that big.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

They use dimensional weight, lengthxwidthxheight divided by probably dim weight of 250, Any how is the the volume of space it takes up to transport, plus to Canada. Did you try fedex?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default shipping

hello. i had the same prob about a year ago. i went to the local hobby shop and got a plane box they had there. and used it to send it off. just have to try and get the size your looking for. most hobby shops have a box or 2. that they no longer use since they put the planes on desplay. or the customer dont want to deal with a box that big. so give it a try. i did send mine fedx. and it only cost 69.21. it was in the us. but not to bad.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know that a lot of folks have large planes professionally crated and shipped via Grayhound. I don't know if they ship to Canada though. It may be worth checking on. From what I hear, packages as large as a plane are cheaper to ship that way than any of the normal shipping services. I hope you find a good way to ship it!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by presto
I know that a lot of folks have large planes professionally crated and shipped via Grayhound. I don't know if they ship to Canada though. It may be worth checking on. From what I hear, packages as large as a plane are cheaper to ship that way than any of the normal shipping services. I hope you find a good way to ship it!
+1 i shipped one that way 32.00 bucks http://www.shipgreyhound.com/
Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So how would that work, my guy would have to go to the greyhound station to pick it up?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I shipped a large Turbine Jet through greyhound for reasonable price. Receiver would pick up from Greyhound. The worst part is the price of the crate that was built for it.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I bought a bumper for my Chevy and the seller sent it greyhound. It got to me okay at the bus terminal. They just throw it on a bus and sent it this way. The only problem is it made every stop that the bus did, lol, so it took it a bit to get to me.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i am from Canada..where will the plane go to Canada? not every place has grayline bus...you should confirm wiht the guy in Canada to see if the bus stops at his place.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Check out Fedex ask them about there Freight service that may work.
Other that that if your close to mayjor airport check out Forward Air i beleive they run freight trucks to Canada. You may have some issue and fees with Customs also.

Good Luck