Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you protect yourself when doing trades

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

i understand why you guys are against the whole kid thing. but im 17, and look at my feedback...not all of us "kids" are bad sellers.

the only way i think the hobby shop middle man idea will work is if you know the owner and you are friends with them...
Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

as far as paypal goes, if u dont buy on ebay they wont do anything for u. ive been ripped off a few times now i really reluctant to buy or trade anything with anyone.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

I think the best option is to check at the hobby shop, most of them have a used area, and most could tell you how it was driven taken care of etc. As long as you give them busness most will be happy to help you out.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
I have heard that if you use a Credit Card through your PayPal that you get better protection than if it is connected to a Debit Card or checking account. Just a thought.

I also look at the ratings and actually read some of the buyers comments.

PAYAL sucks ass if the transaction was not through ebay. You are correct in saying you have better protection using a credit card because you can work through them because if you make a claim to paypal they will deny it saying that there is no way to verify what was sold. i.e. new or used working or non workin. I spoke with paypal yesterday in great link about this and what happens is you make a paypal claim it will be denied and then you make a claim with your cc company. The cc company will pull the funds from paypal if they see fit and then paypal will have to work to collect the funds from the seller who buy then has exfered the money to there banking account. I just got stuck for 1300.00 for a brushless 8ight-t that i am trying to work out with the seller wont post name and address yet.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
call a hobby shop in the area, ask the seller to leave it with him for a day or 2, ask him to look it over and see whats wrong, ask his opinion and have the store owner ship it, you do the same with buying a used 1/1 car
my hobbie shop offered me $50-$80 on my very well maintained rustler.
what do you think they would tell the buyer? I agree if the owner was a friend you would get a better deal,but for a noob like me don't count on it.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

Originally Posted by offtraxx
my hobbie shop offered me $50-$80 on my very well maintained rustler.
what do you think they would tell the buyer? I agree if the owner was a friend you would get a better deal,but for a noob like me don't count on it.
well maintained or not, how much do you think you were going to get offered on a truck someone can buy brand new for about $150 that you lhs can pick up for less than that?
it's not that you're a noob, it's that you've got a relatively not highly sought after used truck.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I know but it was my sons first truck and i have more in upgrades than Ipaid for the truck. I was only hoping for half of what i got in it.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I know but it was my sons first truck and i have more in upgrades than Ipaid for the truck. I was only hoping for half of what i got in it.
Heh..dude, if you plan on getting half of what you put into your cars when you sell them you are in THE WRONG HOBBY.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't trade anymore. I made a trade with a guy on a site based here in Canada. He fixed the car up to APPEAR the way he had promised it, but upon proper tear down and inspection, it was obvious that the car had been used a loooooooooooooot more than he'd promised. I had to replace and rebuilt everything on it. It was my first 8th scale offroad and something broke or wore out every time I took it out. Anything I hadn't changed out failed.

Don't take chances on trades with people one on one.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Suspended

that is sorta the misconception people have, because unless you happen to find a buyer that has to have that truck with those exact hopups on it you have really done little to increase the value whether it be a rc car or a real 1:1 car.... the hopups might act as a lure but don't really increase the value because the car or truck already is what it is
Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Use Paypal

Setup a paypal transaction for the amount of trade, what ever the approx value of the goods. You each purchase the others goods two transactions and fees.

At least this way you have some recourse. Trading items opens you up for all sorts of headaches.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Semple
I don't trade anymore. I made a trade with a guy on a site based here in Canada. He fixed the car up to APPEAR the way he had promised it, but upon proper tear down and inspection, it was obvious that the car had been used a loooooooooooooot more than he'd promised. I had to replace and rebuilt everything on it. It was my first 8th scale offroad and something broke or wore out every time I took it out. Anything I hadn't changed out failed.
Don't take chances on trades with people one on one.
i feel for you man, but that is the same old song and dance of buying a used, especially a used offroader. we put these things through a lot of abuse, and a lot of people don't properly maintain them, and you can spit shine one up so it looks good but deep down inside it's still been run hard and put up wet. that's why i've always told people that if its used, unless it's only a single run or two, its price should drop immediately to 50% of what it was new and then go down from there. but for some reason the used marketplace has been inflated and all we can do is fault ourselves as buyers
Old 08-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I have been a member since 2002 here on rctech. Althou my feedback rating says only +7 100% I have done probaly 30 or more deals here on rctech, most of them before they started feed back ratings. I have never gotten burned on this site. I have mostly done trading instead of buying or selling. My suggestions is look at there feedback ratings and how long they have been on a member here like said above. Also post there user name in the trader feedback fourm and you will get feedback from others more than likely. I wouldnt be scrared of trading on this site as long as you cover the basics
Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

besides the trade I've had issues with, rctech has never done me wrong.