Wiki Posts
Search

Liquid Mask

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Liquid Mask

I've never tried liquid mask before and I wanted to get the experts opinions on which brand you all think is the best. My friend tried it once and he didn't like it (can't remember why) but I would like to give it a try. Do you have any opinion on one brand being better than another? And do you have any tips on how to make it work good? Maybe some advice that's not on the bottle it comes in? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

bob dively is the only brand to go with - best out there.

what i do is "paint" 3 thick coats on - if you get it too thin...it is a pain the butt to try to peal off - i use a space heater to expedite the drying between coats. all you need is a nice wide paint brush so paint it on - just try to make it as even as possible - as you paint it on, it doesn't have to be a work of art - but just nice and even.

other than that make sure it is completely dry before you peel it back - i usually give mine 24 hours to cure after i expedited it with my space heater.

i love using it - alot easier than tape for me...

marc
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JetMD
I've never tried liquid mask before and I wanted to get the experts opinions on which brand you all think is the best. My friend tried it once and he didn't like it (can't remember why) but I would like to give it a try. Do you have any opinion on one brand being better than another? And do you have any tips on how to make it work good? Maybe some advice that's not on the bottle it comes in? Thanks.
bob dively's is what I use. the parma stuff isn't nearly as robust.

The biggest problems with liquid mask arise when you don't have enough on. You need three good coats, at least. You can spray it, but you'll need to thin it, and need more coats (cause, it's thinner, obviously). I use a bit of foam. You can brush it on or dab it on. If you brush it on, each coat should be brushed at a different angle (horiz or vertical) so that you don't get brush strokes, which act as weak spots when peeling.

Dabbing it on creates a stiple texture with raised bumps. Makes a consistent layer that doesn't have the weak spots from brushing, but they can cause the exacto blade to bobble if you aren't careful.

I dry it with a hair dryer for a couple minutes, then if the coats still need time I let them sit overnight (or longer) near a heat vent...

It doesn't always smell good (does liquid latex ever smell good?), so if you have a garage or storage room, that's a good place to let it dry. Otherwise, if you have a cat, you might think they've made a mess somewhere (seriously, some batches of Dively's really don't smell good).

Some paints stick better to the mask than others, so when you peel it off, some might flake off. Be sure to brush off the areas you're going to paint after you expose a layer.

Paint chrome last, or at least after adjacent areas are finished. Chrome doesn't bond well, and liquid mask can pull bits off.

Use a new exacto blade with each body... Or at least not a really used one.

Don't cut too heavily, you just want to get through, and it's not that tough.

It can be used in conjunction with masking tape (or window masks) but if it leaks under, you'll have to cut along that edge so you don't peel up the masking tape (or window mask).

Ummm, that's it for now.

Have fun
Cassidy
Old 01-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Excellent suggestions! The only way the stuff doesn't work is if it is not on thick enough. Thin coats are a mess. Otherwise, it's 'da BOMB! And you can do things with LM that you could never dream of doing with masking tape.

d
Old 01-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i use hobbico works great but smells like crap-ola!!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mountaindr3wz
i use hobbico works great but smells like crap-ola!!

whats the different between liquid mask and a maskin' tape???
Old 01-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

masking tape is a pain to apply everywhere, harder to cut, and easier to bleed. Liquid mask rules, you can do lots of layers, if it's on thick it always comes up clean, and you can get sharp edges. It doesn't leave behind sticky tape junk, and is generally the best thing ever (especially dively's).

It rules.... period.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:10 AM
Tech Initiate

I think the masking material you use is dependant upon the situation. There are many instances where it's just easier to use tape. I could't freehand cut straight line if the world depended on it so for stripes and shapes with straight edges I opt for tape. Liquid mask has great applications like being able to brush in details like highlights and such. Let the idea of what you wish to acomplish dictate which material to use.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Great suggestions! Thanks guys! I would of never thought of using a foam brush but the way you describe it, it seems the way to go. The only big problem I have with tape is getting it pressed it good in the parts of the body that are sharp concave edges (like around the bumper). I always get those little areas where paints leaks under the tape. I'm going to look for the Bob Dively stuff but in case I can't find it, where do you guys get it? Thanks a lot.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

is 32oz the biggest they do, if not where can i get bigger bottles of the mask?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Almost any shop and online shop carries it.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

i know i can get the 32oz, but can I get a bigger bottle??

If so where???
Old 01-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

4 oz. $6.05
16 oz. $15.00
32 oz. $24.00
Gallon $69.95

Looks like a gallon can be bought. Dont know who carries the gallons.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Espiritus
I think the masking material you use is dependant upon the situation. There are many instances where it's just easier to use tape. I could't freehand cut straight line if the world depended on it so for stripes and shapes with straight edges I opt for tape. Liquid mask has great applications like being able to brush in details like highlights and such. Let the idea of what you wish to acomplish dictate which material to use.

i agree...
Old 01-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

gallon seems good....will start looking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.