Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Matt Finish Paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Matt Finish Paint

I've seen a few Matt Black paintjobs appearing here and there of late, does anyone know how these are done? If you paint on the inside then it will be gloss, no avoiding that,
But if you paint on the outside, it sure wont last long!
Old 12-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Matte clear the outside.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BumFacedGoat
I've seen a few Matt Black paintjobs appearing here and there of late, does anyone know how these are done? If you paint on the inside then it will be gloss, no avoiding that,
But if you paint on the outside, it sure wont last long!
Tamiya makes a matte clear for polycarbonate, which is used on the exterior of the shell. Just make sure you mask your windows before using it.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default Matte Finish

Hi
Paint the body on the inside as you would normally would. Take an Xacto knife and cut around the windows of the clear masking material that's on the outside. Remove the clear protective film, leaving the windows still covered by the film. Paint the outside of the body with a matte clear spray paint. There are several brands available. Home Depot sells it in the paint dept. Usually takes several thin layers of clear flat to achieve the look.
good luck
caci623
Old 12-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Caci623
Hi
Paint the body on the inside as you would normally would. Take an Xacto knife and cut around the windows of the clear masking material that's on the outside. Remove the clear protective film, leaving the windows still covered by the film. Paint the outside of the body with a matte clear spray paint. There are several brands available. Home Depot sells it in the paint dept. Usually takes several thin layers of clear flat to achieve the look.
good luck
caci623
Does Home Depot sell the flat clear for polycarbonate bodies? Or any paint for polycarbonate bodies for that matter?
Old 12-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

Default HD

Hi
The Matte Clear sold a HD actually has a "mild" chemical reaction to the plastic like solvent based paints so you would not be able to remove it and return it to glossy. I'm thinking your question is about knowing if it will stick to the plastic or flake off. It won't flake off upon impact but you can scuff and scratch it up like any paint that is applied on the out side of the plastic body.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Thumbs up Flat Clear

Tamiya PS-55
Old 01-16-2017, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Paint on the outside scratches off, Media blasting with Baking soda at an appropriate pressure for lexan will be permanent. Harbor Freight has several inexpensive options but you'd have to speak to someone there to find out which is best for the application.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...sult?q=blaster
Old 01-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was told you can use rustoleum flat on the outside and it won't flake off, but have no tried it personally.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was told at my local track its black rattle can (gloss) and then some kind of matte clear coat on the outside of the body. I can't remember what they said it was, but it looked super cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuToUlGpR0E

Last edited by kansasracer; 01-26-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added link