Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Photography Pricing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default R/C Photography Pricing ?

Hello i would like to start shooting r/c photos at local tracks in my area, i would like to know what is a correct price range to charge a customer for this service ? Any help with this info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Steve
Old 09-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Bump.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've shot several races and never once made any money for it. Maybe pass out business cards and charge a per photo fee for people who want shots of their car. But you would need to water mark everything and put them up somewhere so everyone could see them. Put in a lot of work and run the risk of not selling anything. Or make sure your stuff is so incredible that people will request you for events. Then you might start making a few bucks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap70xfh8bk..._0407.jpg?dl=0
Old 09-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

What cut of the price do the track owner's get? Doing business at somebody's business deserves a conversation. Also, if it's for profit do you have waiver releases for people who may be in the backgrounds?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by greener74
I've shot several races and never once made any money for it. Maybe pass out business cards and charge a per photo fee for people who want shots of their car. But you would need to water mark everything and put them up somewhere so everyone could see them. Put in a lot of work and run the risk of not selling anything. Or make sure your stuff is so incredible that people will request you for events. Then you might start making a few bucks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap70xfh8bk..._0407.jpg?dl=0
Thanks for the good info. much appreciated. I asked this question do to a local track opening and wanted a photographer. This info helps. Nice pic of the truggy !!!
Old 09-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Finalist
What cut of the price do the track owner's get? Doing business at somebody's business deserves a conversation. Also, if it's for profit do you have waiver releases for people who may be in the backgrounds?
Thanks for the info. I didn't think of those scenarios. Again your info is much appreciated !
Old 09-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I don't think you need to worry about waivers as long as you are at a public event. But if its sponsored by Live RC or some other competing media. Who knows. Its always good to ask questions.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Pretty sure this if you are "making a profit", in other words, selling your pics. I think most states are this way - whether film or still shots. You will need to get a signed waiver to c.y.a., especially if you are selling photos. Either the waivers or make sure you don't process (keep) photos with people in them.

99% of people could care less if they are background fodder in an R/C picture - but it only takes one to sue you. Just make sure you don't get any lawyers in your pics!

I would do it for free to start, and then let people know that you could do a shoot of their car(s) at an event. Good luck with it!

Originally Posted by Finalist
Old 10-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Default Want to be an RC Photographer?

I just got back from shooting the worlds with Neobuggy and I've been shooting here in SoCal for almost 10 years now and also shoot for many of the online publications, RedRC, InsideLine RC, RC-insider and many others. You'll prob not make much at it from the general racers. The trick is to get with the track/race promoter and make a deal with them for your time and effort. For them tell the story of the event through pictures. Its more than just pictures of toy cars its the behind the scenes the pits the friendships Podium, etc.
What can you charge? Direct to the racers digital downloads 10 to 15.00 each. Race day.....Whats your time worth?? 100.00 200.00 300.00 for the day? its up to you and what you think you can get. Remember there are people who think they are a photographer then there are those of us who actually shoot RC. RC is one of the toughest to shoot.. To capture the action and get it in focus when the car is only 5in or so tall and going 40mph. It's a tall order...It takes lots of practice to get it right and many blurry pictures to edit through. Gear and Lenses are essential to capture the best pics too. Canon 1DX or Nikon D5 Its what you need. Can you do it with less.....Sure but its more difficult The 1100.00 camera bodies just don't cut the mustard when it comes to RC photo's. You need Fast Cameras and Fast lenses too..
On the other side it has brought a lot of happiness to many of my fellow racers in the fact that I have captured a moment in there life to share with others.
Start slow and build up and practice practice practice.

Here is a link to my worlds Gallery for ideas of what you can do though pictures. http://www.rugspingraphix.com/Hobbie...ld-Championsh/