Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Need some paint advice for use in an airbrush. >

Need some paint advice for use in an airbrush.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some paint advice for use in an airbrush.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Default Need some paint advice for use in an airbrush.

I decided to finally step up and attempt painting my bodies with something other than a single color. I picked up the Iwata HP-CS at Hobby Lobby with that big coupon they offer. While there I picked up some other items I knew I might need from watching videos, mix bottles, some paint brushes and even some basic black water based paint to do some exercises with the new airbrush.

They also had Createx paints and for what ever reason I thought those were used or possibly used to paint lexan, now I am not so sure. Will these work or should I just return and buy some Faskolor?

They did have some airbrush cleaning fluid which should be fine, is there any other binding, bonding or needed materials that I should know of before placing an order?

I have an older Paasche VL with large tip and will use that for spraying the liquid mask, I figure the Bob Dively had good reviews and the 16oz bottle seems cheap enough and should do plenty of bodies to keep me busy for a while.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a good condition Silentaire A20 for less than the cost of the airbrush. It is pretty nice with a pressure gauge with built in moisture trap. Do you need to add a separate air dryer for running two airbrush?

Anything you might have to offer I should consider before placing an order for some parts, Iwata air line hose (Paasche does not fit), dump pot, airbrush holder\stand, lexan compatible paint, two output manifold for the compressor and anything else I should consider?

Thanks for your time.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fasttrak
I decided to finally step up and attempt painting my bodies with something other than a single color. I picked up the Iwata HP-CS at Hobby Lobby with that big coupon they offer. While there I picked up some other items I knew I might need from watching videos, mix bottles, some paint brushes and even some basic black water based paint to do some exercises with the new airbrush.

They also had Createx paints and for what ever reason I thought those were used or possibly used to paint lexan, now I am not so sure. Will these work or should I just return and buy some Faskolor?

They did have some airbrush cleaning fluid which should be fine, is there any other binding, bonding or needed materials that I should know of before placing an order?

I have an older Paasche VL with large tip and will use that for spraying the liquid mask, I figure the Bob Dively had good reviews and the 16oz bottle seems cheap enough and should do plenty of bodies to keep me busy for a while.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a good condition Silentaire A20 for less than the cost of the airbrush. It is pretty nice with a pressure gauge with built in moisture trap. Do you need to add a separate air dryer for running two airbrush?

Anything you might have to offer I should consider before placing an order for some parts, Iwata air line hose (Paasche does not fit), dump pot, airbrush holder\stand, lexan compatible paint, two output manifold for the compressor and anything else I should consider?

Thanks for your time.
I've used both createx and faskolor. Both work well, just need to back them with a protective layer, and thin the thicker colors

Few things I use:

-Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel (spray can from Walmart, back the bodies in to protect them from rubbing the paint off)
-Quick Disconnect for the airbrush air line, not needed but nice to have.
- airbrush holder, nice if you want to leave paint in the airbrush for a second while you use your hands
- heat gun - make sure it has low temp setting. I use this to help dry liquid mask and paint between coats. Just be easy on the heat
- sharpie or felt tipped marker, I draw my designs out on the protective film
- some kind of paint thinner. I use windex with faskolor
- q-tips, help fix small mistakes easily while painting
- I don't use a pot to dispose of paint or anything, just spray into my trash can with a few paper towels. My area is pretty well ventilated though, and I would only do that with water based paints
- frisket film (or some kind of transfer paper) I ise this to mirror the design left/right on the bodies

Think that is most of it. If I think of something else I'll edit this and add to it...

Seth
Old 10-23-2015, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks, Seth, some good feedback!

I have a couple very old bodies I plan to torture with my first few attempts at painting with water based paints on lexan. Not sure why but I keep fearing what I will end up with is colored water beads sitting on lexan :-P

After spending a week watching way too many Youtube videos, I have to reverse my thinking for painting the inside of the body. I think I am just going to rip off some of the bodies I see here for the first few attempts. See if I can even figure out how some of them are done.

Any suggestions for good pricing for Creatix paint and Iwata parts, hoses and such?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The whole purpose of an airbrush it to atomize the paint so it doesn't bead up. I started using autoair paints now as you can buy them in bigger bottles, but all 3 work fine they are all meant to be sprayed on plastics. I don't know if you will be able to spray bob dively out of a normal airbrush it is pretty thick stuff http://www.paascheairbrush.com/produ...prayers/l-1c-1 something like that would work well for it. I personally just use a paintbrush to brush it on 3 alternating layers.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fasttrak
Thanks, Seth, some good feedback!

I have a couple very old bodies I plan to torture with my first few attempts at painting with water based paints on lexan. Not sure why but I keep fearing what I will end up with is colored water beads sitting on lexan :-P

After spending a week watching way too many Youtube videos, I have to reverse my thinking for painting the inside of the body. I think I am just going to rip off some of the bodies I see here for the first few attempts. See if I can even figure out how some of them are done.

Any suggestions for good pricing for Creatix paint and Iwata parts, hoses and such?
Hobby Lobby usually sells some basic Iwata stuff and most createx colors. The usually have a 40% off a single item coupon on their website that you can take into the store. Doesn't help a ton, but if you need something a little more expensive it helps.

I also brush my liquid mask into the body. Just easier for me as I don't have to clean out the airbrush or worry about the nozzle getting clogged up with crap.

Seth
Old 11-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

if you don't want to mess any bodies up use clear 2 liter soda bottles. easy way to try tricks and custom colors out. auto air is the way to go on paint. they have way more bad ass colors then any one else even though auto air and createx are the same company.