Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
looking for some cheap durable rattle can paint >

looking for some cheap durable rattle can paint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By xxx-ntad2 racer
  • 1 Post By MailManX

looking for some cheap durable rattle can paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default looking for some cheap durable rattle can paint

Hey guys Im looking for some good paint for doing a few bodies. I used to use pactra (small cans) but heard they are no longer making that paint and Im looking for something that has a can that is the size of a normal rattle can (so I can paint more then 1 body). Any recommendations that will work well for lexan?
Old 01-09-2015, 04:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Lrp or duratrax
Old 01-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Except Tamiya white. Seems to flake off of the body more than others
Old 02-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Try Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Rattle Can Paint

Originally Posted by barry1me
Hey guys Im looking for some good paint for doing a few bodies. I used to use pactra (small cans) but heard they are no longer making that paint and Im looking for something that has a can that is the size of a normal rattle can (so I can paint more then 1 body). Any recommendations that will work well for lexan?
I hope nobody laughs at me, but I've used "Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Paint" from O'Reilly Auto in the US on several bodies and it sticks great. You can also buy it at some other auto stores and sometimes at Walmart. I found that not every store carries every color (except O-Reilly - they had every color!).

The Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Paint comes in full size 11-oz cans that will paint at least two bodies. The down side is that it only comes in 14 colors. However, the price is only about $6 per can, so for the colors they have that you need, it is a BARGAIN!

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

The Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Paint was designed for automotive vinyl seats and dashboards, but it sticks tenaciously to Lexan. I did a peel test comparing it to Tamiya paint on a scrap of Lexan. I cleaned it, mildly scuffed it and dried it, then used the same painting technique for each brand of paint that I would for painting a prize body. I then allowed the sample to cure for 24-hours. I use Gorilla brand duct tape to try and pull up the paint. Neither brand of paint pulled up. Then I bent and twisted the piece of Lexan. Neither brand of paint chipped or flaked off.

Buy and can and try if for yourself on some scraps. If you don't like it, you are only out about $6.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MailManX
I hope nobody laughs at me, but I've used "Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Paint" from O'Reilly Auto in the US on several bodies and it sticks great. You can also buy it at some other auto stores and sometimes at Walmart. I found that not every store carries every color (except O-Reilly - they had every color!).

The Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Paint comes in full size 11-oz cans that will paint at least two bodies. The down side is that it only comes in 14 colors. However, the price is only about $6 per can, so for the colors they have that you need, it is a BARGAIN!

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

The Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Paint was designed for automotive vinyl seats and dashboards, but it sticks tenaciously to Lexan. I did a peel test comparing it to Tamiya paint on a scrap of Lexan. I cleaned it, mildly scuffed it and dried it, then used the same painting technique for each brand of paint that I would for painting a prize body. I then allowed the sample to cure for 24-hours. I use Gorilla brand duct tape to try and pull up the paint. Neither brand of paint pulled up. Then I bent and twisted the piece of Lexan. Neither brand of paint chipped or flaked off.

Buy and can and try if for yourself on some scraps. If you don't like it, you are only out about $6.
i second this!! ive painted about 6 bodies with this paint in various colors, and it works just as good as tamiya and duratax and others.

if you want to paint on the cheap, this is it.
ceh329 likes this.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I like the duratrax cans myself.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MailManX
"Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Paint" from O'Reilly Auto in the US
\

This is all you need to know. Used it a few times. It is everything you asked for.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

If I remember correctly in years past I had a Losi JRX2 truck body that
I painted with Duplicolor paint..(think it was lacquer)... it stuck great to the
lexan... You also get more paint for your dollar than Pactra or any other "hobby" paint for that matter...
Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slimrc
I like the duratrax cans myself.
Me too, Slim. Especially like their Window Tint. It's the only rattle can window mask I've used that doesn't run or sag on me.

'AC'

Last edited by AHR43; 03-08-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: error in product name
Old 03-12-2015, 06:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Used to use Pactra(RIP), but now use Duratrax paint. Best bargain if you're going to buy actual "RC paint"
Old 03-29-2015, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Guys ..just bought some Duplicolor acrylic lacquer auto paint from autozone yesterday. Did a test piece on some scrap lexan last night. Paint sticking like crazy and can't even scratch it off the lexan. 7.49 for an 8 oz. can. Twice as much paint as a Pactra can.... : )
Old 03-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
Guys ..just bought some Duplicolor acrylic lacquer auto paint from autozone yesterday. Did a test piece on some scrap lexan last night. Paint sticking like crazy and can't even scratch it off the lexan. 7.49 for an 8 oz. can. Twice as much paint as a Pactra can.... : )
Please give us feedback after running it for a while. Although I regularly use Duplicolor's vinyl paint on Lexan RC bodies, I've never tried auto store Acrylic Lacquer. I've read so much mis-information. Some say the Acrylic Lacquer bonds amazingly well, but will crack, chip and flake after several accidents. Others say that Tamiya and Pactra Lexan paints are nothing more than Acrylic Lacquer.

I finally did something I should have done long ago, find and read the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for each of these. For those who don't know, the MSDS is a standardized document that contains the types and percentages of chemicals that go into a product, the toxicity of those chemical, how the specific product should be handled and stored and what to do in case of emergency contact with eyes, lungs, etc.

I found that the MSDS for Tamiya PS type paints (the ones formulated specifically for Polycarbonate - Lexan) is very similar to (but not exactly the same as) both the 8-oz Duplicolor Exact Match lacquer spray paints and also 12-oz Rustoleum Automotive Acrylic lacquer spray paints.

I think the few little extra ingredients in the Tamiya PS type paints must drive the cost up and possibly make them a bit better for RC bodies. But the MSDS's are close enough on the other paints that they are certainly worth experimenting with.

Tamiya 3-oz PS Lexan paint = $15
Duplicolor 8-oz perfect match = $8
Rustoleum 12-oz acrylic lacquer = $6

Take your pick, try them out and let us know.

One thing is certain, AVOID ENAMEL paints. Acrylic ENAMEL spray definitely will not stick (or at least remain sticking) to Lexan.
ceh329 likes this.