Wiki Posts
Search

masking tape or liquid mask?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default masking tape or liquid mask?

What tape would you guys use or liquid mask, Im not very good with my airbrush but im gonna go for it on this body
Old 04-25-2014, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by subiesnacks
What tape would you guys use or liquid mask, Im not very good with my airbrush but im gonna go for it on this body
Just remember that we all started somewhere when we got the urge to paint up our first bodies. Whatever you do, try to enjoy the learning experience.

I use both the blue painter's tape found at home depot, and liquid mask if I'm doing more intricate work in hard to mask areas. Liquid mask gives cleaner lines, but I find the overall time investment cut in half if you use masking tape. Regardless of the method you choose, make sure that you have sharp x-acto or razor blades handy - you'll need them for cutting out your designs.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Liquid masking, no question.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Depends on how detailed you want your paint job. Tape is great to cover big areas quickly and way cheaper than mask but you can't cut in the same level of detail that you can with mask. Tape can easily yield clean crisp lines. This is actually a can paint job masked with 30 cents worth of tape rather than $5 worth of mask.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Personal preference imo. I don't care for liquid mask. But I don't do crazy custom stuff like some people. But I can get nice clean lines from masking tape. And I find it easier to use.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Guys

Watched a lot of videos about applying liquid mask. However, they never say what pressure to apply to the hobby knife to make a suitable cut. What's the suggestion.

While I can understand that apply masking tape over the length of the body shell can be hard to produce straight lines but isn't cutting a line using a knife even harder?

Got a Blitz 1/8 GT body to paint but want to do some stripes like the advertised shell design but the last time I sprayed a shell was over 15 years ago and that was a single color Tamiya Subaru Imprezza. Any tips?

Cheers
Etops
Old 06-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have tried tape in the past...not my cup of tea. was it absolutely horrible? no. The paint bled out a little, and i wasnt to happy. If one was to try again, i would try liquid mask.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Etopsflight
Guys

Watched a lot of videos about applying liquid mask. However, they never say what pressure to apply to the hobby knife to make a suitable cut. What's the suggestion.

While I can understand that apply masking tape over the length of the body shell can be hard to produce straight lines but isn't cutting a line using a knife even harder?

Got a Blitz 1/8 GT body to paint but want to do some stripes like the advertised shell design but the last time I sprayed a shell was over 15 years ago and that was a single color Tamiya Subaru Imprezza. Any tips?

Cheers
Etops
If you're doing nothing but lines and new to cutting liquid mask...I'd go with masking tape.

As far as pressure goes...there's no psi amount or anything. Just be sure you're not pressing wicked hard on the plastic. After a while making a straight line is fairly easy with liquid mask especially if you practice holding the butt of the xacto blade and dragging it in the liquid mask at an acute angle.
Attached Thumbnails masking tape or liquid mask?-image.jpg  
Old 07-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like the liquid mask the best. First time I cut out my design i pressed to hard and the body crack cause i scored the lexan. light pressure is best but practice makes perfect.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm working on slot car bodies that are made of .010 thick lexan. Is it possible to use liquid mask? I'm afraid I will cut the body when cutting out the patterns.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like liquid mask. But remember its a art (correct thickness, amount of coats etc...) you have to perfect to really reap the benefits. That means it could take a couple of body jobs to really get the hang of it. Just my two cents..
Old 08-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Tech Rookie

In my overall opinion, I would definitely choose liquid mask. Best of luck to you painting bodies!