Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with 3D printing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Experience with 3D printing?

I am doing research to understand how 3D printing can be of use for RC/model hobby market and I was hoping to get insights from RC veterans who do their own repairs or custom modifications. Good experiences and bad are both welcomed or any perspectives on how it could be useful.

****Disclosure****

I have a start up site that allows people to post their CAD or 3D printing projects and have makers bid to do those projects. I think the technology can be of use but I would like to better understand how it can be of use. I won't be listing my site name here (avoid spamming) unless people are interested

Thanks in advance!

Alex
Old 02-22-2014, 03:28 AM
Tech Initiate

hello,
a person has made ​​me a protective shell for the entire pinion / crown via a highly effective and 100% tight Gravilliers 3D printer.
pictures as soon as I'm allowed in the post dedicated to Vaterra Kemora.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For scale accessories or a gear cover like papa70 mentioned most of the commercial quality printed parts would be fine. For structural bits, for example shock towers, some testing would be in order to determine which process(fdm, sla, etc) would work best and if it would hold up to RC use/abuse. The material and configuration of how the parts are built would be part of the testing process.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:56 AM
Tech Initiate

yes thank you and more apparently my sentences are understandable.
quans I translate you I'm entitled to the Chinese sometimes but it must be the same for you ...
Old 02-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

I actually just bought and started using a very basic 3-D printer.
So far I've made shock tower guards, a gear cover, and this week I plan on making a motor mount for an RC boat.

You can use them for basically anything that doesn't go under a lot of stress. A-arms would not hold up, diff cases maybe, and you really can't replace metal parts and expect them to hold up. But anything cosmetic, to hold wires, ESC mounts, material, ect...can be made with them pretty well.

In my case, since my printer doesn't use any kind of fill material, so objects with features overhanging over empty space don't work to well since the plastic has nothing underneath it to support it at that point.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Initiate

we did not give me more details on it making my cache but I would love to see how it works exactly.
the plastic piece in question is white but I know we can dip to give it any color ...

you can see it here:
post.htmlhttp://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mi...-new-post.html

Last edited by papa70; 02-22-2014 at 02:07 PM.