Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Budget setup for shooting Faskolor >

Budget setup for shooting Faskolor

Budget setup for shooting Faskolor

Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Budget setup for shooting Faskolor

Hey guys! I want to get an airbrush setup that is capable of spraying Faskolor paints. As you may well know, those paints require 40+ operating PSI to work.

None of the cheaper, quieter airbrush compressors seem to operate that high. That leaves me with a loud compressor meant for filling tires/using air tools. I can't really run one of those. They are too loud for my living situation.

Are there any budget setups out there that aren't too loud that I can use to spray Faskolor? I don't need to do detail work, this would only be for solid colors on lexan bodies. I don't really get into shadows/flames/etc. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
Hey guys! I want to get an airbrush setup that is capable of spraying Faskolor paints. As you may well know, those paints require 40+ operating PSI to work.

None of the cheaper, quieter airbrush compressors seem to operate that high. That leaves me with a loud compressor meant for filling tires/using air tools. I can't really run one of those. They are too loud for my living situation.

Are there any budget setups out there that aren't too loud that I can use to spray Faskolor? I don't need to do detail work, this would only be for solid colors on lexan bodies. I don't really get into shadows/flames/etc. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Thank you.
I do not know where you got this info but it is not correct. I have and do shoot WB paints as low as 10psi for detail work and 20-25psi for most general work.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
I do not know where you got this info but it is not correct. I have and do shoot WB paints as low as 10psi for detail work and 20-25psi for most general work.
I rarely spray above 25psi. I would rather reduce the paint and spray at a lower psi. You get better control that way.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Never over 25psi. Thin your paint. You won't believe the difference. Createx paints are amazing too.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Thanks guys! That really helps! Now I have a clear idea of what I need. The compressor I was looking at can operate at up to 35 psi, so it looks like I am all set!

Originally Posted by chris moore
I do not know where you got this info but it is not correct.
Right from the Faskolor Website.

General Instructions For Airbrushing With FASKOLOR

1. Shake bottle and/or stir well before using. FASFLIP and FASCHANGE colors separate and must be stirred and shaken to one consistency, These colors take more effort, others colors need just a good shaking to make sure the color is consistent before use.
2. Make sure your hands and the surface you are painting are have been cleaned with soap and water. Oil and dirt may prevent paint adhesion. Any mild dish type soap works fine.
3. When using an airbrush, use between 40 - 70 PSI air pressure with a medium tip. We suggest starting with 50 PSI and testing your spray pattern. Adjust air up or down for best results. This paint appears thick, but is ready to spray or brush right out of the bottle. (It can be thinned with a few drops of water if using lower air pressure, no more than 1 teaspoon per bottle).Practice spraying on a test surface and adjust your airbrush, if necessary, until the paint sprays in a smooth even pattern and you are satisfied with the coverage.
4. Apply the paint in thin, even coats for best results (2-3 coats is best), each coat should be dry before continuing.
5. The paint must dry before applying another coat for best results. Using a hair type blow dryer will speed up drying/bonding time between coats. For best results we suggest using a blow dryer - it is an inexpensive piece that will make it possible to keep spraying your coats and make sure there are no runs or wet areas between the coats. A heat lamp can also be used if desired.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

yesterday I was spraying white from the bottle and even at 40psi I was clogging, after I reduced it slightly it sprayed fine at 30psi. I used thinned black at about 15psi with no issues.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
Right from the Faskolor Website.
Some of the worst advice I've ever seen, ok yes at those pressures you can shoot it straight from the bottle, but the paint will be thick and you might experiance a range of problems. Thin the paint with autoair 4011/4012 or even just water and you will not have any issues spraying at 20-30psi.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I recently discovered the wonders that are thinning the paint! So much easier to spray! I was having all types of problems with clogging, splattering, and poor consistency. I can also spray at lower psi now which is great for detail work. I use Creatix and Wicked Colors mostly with an Iwata Neo brush and a way overpowered compressor that my dad gave me.