Wiki Posts
Search

What did I screw up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default What did I screw up?

This is the 2nd time this has happened to bodies I've painted. All bodies I've painted black turned out fine, even when beat to hell, no cracking. This body is a day old, I had some fumbles, but no huge collisions.

What did I do wrong? I rushed it tbh, didn't wash the body, and I accidently made some of the layers too thick and runny. Which of those did it?

Old 11-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Spraying to thick, especially rattle can laquer paint will do it. So important to do a super thin fast coat first. Also, was it cold out?
I NEVER wash the bodys I paint. I pull them straight from package and liquid mask them. I have never had one flake. On that note, I use fascolor and have noticed that waterbased seem to be better at flexing with the body than laquer. Just my experience of course.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

I put a drop of dish soap in mine and wash them with warm water, then dry them off and paint. I try to keep the first coat very thin and I put the body on a fan to help it flash (dry) completely before I start the next coat. Keep in mind with the florescent colors they will be transparent no matter how many coats you put on until you back it with white. That being said I also try to keep my paint job three to four coats especially with single color paint schemes.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Liquid mask takes all the release agents off like washing with soap and water. I like to scuff the body with green scotch-brite as I wash them if I`m using spray Lacquer...
Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Not washing the body and spraying to thick will give you this result every time. May look fine when its done but one tweak on the body in the right direction will flake it right off.
Wash with dawn dish soap and hot water or if you use liquid mask that will work as well like Slotmachine said.
I also scuff some areas as well to help the paint stick but you have to be careful with that because some colors will enhance the scuff marks.
Spray can very light coats and heat with a hair dryer to help dry and cure the paint before next coat. Do not let the hair dryer stay in one spot to long as it can deform the lexan.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

This is pretty common with florescent paints, especially green/yellow. Both rattle can and airbrush (although the airbrushed ones seem to hold up better).
Old 11-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

More data would be helpful. Types and brands of paint. Backing paint type. Airbrush or spray can.