R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography

Like Tree82Likes

Old 03-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #481
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Exclamation

I know it's a sportscar to make that clear, I'm saying just how it's low over what would be the front shock tower area. I think being silly low through that area is what the usgt rules are trying to stay away from. There's a slippery slope between a daytona style body and having usgt look like everyone running 12th scale wedge bodies!LOL
Old 03-19-2017, 07:48 AM   #482
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
Not on the current body list from what I can see, IMO that car would fall around a daytona prototype("similiar"?) which were removed when the list was last changed.
that hurt to read. well it was worth a shot.

for the record, how the 458 body is, i think it would work if a shell was made for it. anyway, they need to legalize this body
Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #483
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I'm in favor of the current list but wish the availability of some of the bodies was better. Some on the list are unicorn finds...
phatboislim likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #484
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well the Tamiya 458 is legal and the Protoform PF10 (which is VERY similar looking to a McLaren) is legal. If it looks like current GT-3 car I say go for it. As soon as the Acura NSX GT3 bodies are made, Im getting one.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #485
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I'm a little surprised that they took the HPI Mclaren F1 off the list. I just looked and didn't see it myself. I know it was a popular body used by a couple top drivers. But even if it was still on the list, good luck getting your hands on one. Those are near impossible to find, and if you are lucky enough to run across one, it's going to cost so much that you won't want to run it for fear of damaging it.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #486
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedySST View Post
I have the Tamiya wing. Its the angle of the body's rear deck thats the issue. Its at an angle down so that the wing is also, and not just a little.
Maybe I'll try to use bits from here and there or the Protoform Cadillac wing mounts and try to contour them. The body is nice, the wing looks ridiculous.
I case any of you are wondering why the Protoform Cadillac has the weird "double angle" in the kick-up area - here's why. It's kinda dual purpose in function.

USGT rules only allow a 10mm rear kick on the wing - and that's not much. As long as the kick-up is angled steeply that 10mm trim job is sufficient for experienced drivers - who also probably have chassis set-up skills.
However, may of our products end up in the hands of novice racers whe race in a weekend club-race type environments, where rules are strickly enforced - and the tracks are often cold and low bite. The extra 10mm of lexan on that rear wing is a bit of a band-aid for newby racers.

Dale - Protoform
forFREEDOM likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #487
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboislim View Post
I asked this on my FB page and i didnt get the answer i wanted so i'm going to ask here and hope for some random strange reason that it is a legal body for this that's roar approved lol.

Is this/there a McLaren F1 body legal? I'm not a P1 fan
The HPI body is discontinued as best we can tell so it would fall under the discontinued exception rule. If you can find it feel free to use it same thing with some other bodies that we have outlined on the rules from Protoform and Tamiya, we just have not specifically called out this body on the list. As far as something close...the Protoform PFM-10 is a McLaren not the same model.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #488
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My recent stock of bodies.

Cancun Tom, RiderZ, DBM and 1 others like this.
Trez83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #489
DBM
Tech Addict

Nice looking bodies! Is the Jag body really narrow in the rear? The rear tire sticks out a bit.
I've been running the MX Stang all year and it has worked really well. It is starting to get a bit tired, so I'm looking for another body to try. I ordered a lightweight tamiya autech gtr, but it feels very fragile and i fear the huge splitter will be mangled after just one crash.
bigtee01 likes this.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:07 AM   #490
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
Nice looking bodies! Is the Jag body really narrow in the rear? The rear tire sticks out a bit.
I've been running the MX Stang all year and it has worked really well. It is starting to get a bit tired, so I'm looking for another body to try. I ordered a lightweight tamiya autech gtr, but it feels very fragile and i fear the huge splitter will be mangled after just one crash.
The Jag body is really narrow all over. That's the same width setting for all the bodies. I think the MX Stang is the most balanced body out of them all. The McLaren is faster in a straight line, but makes the car feel loose. The MX Stang, in my opinion, is neutral. It works with your car set up - it won't fix an ill handling car. If you understeer, it won't help with front grip. If you oversteer, it won't help with rear grip.
It's a damn near perfect body.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 PM   #491
Tech Adept

Send a message via Skype™ to Cancun Tom

Hi, My name is CancunTom, and I live in Cancun, Mexico. Unfortunately we have very little action on the racing scene. I have 10 RC cars and am retired. I have been in the hobby for 35 years. Nowadays I get my hobby fix by painting bodies. I donīt care for the wild tribal paint-jobs that are all the rage. I prefer paintwork that might be actually used on a full size race car. Therefore for you viewing pleasure my latest......the 2017 Ford GT in my interpretation of team Ganassiīs American colors.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #492
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Where is everyone ordering there 1/8th scale on-road bodies from?
erion racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #493
Tech Regular

I wanted to do a pimped out version of a low rider pink Cadillac. This is what I came up with. Took me about a week to paint it. Yes that's pink glitter and Taylor Swift is the driver. What you cant see is in the white there is actually iridescent blue lace flowers. You only see them when the light hits it.

wyd and forFREEDOM like this.
greener74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #494
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun Tom View Post
Hi, My name is CancunTom, and I live in Cancun, Mexico. Unfortunately we have very little action on the racing scene. I have 10 RC cars and am retired. I have been in the hobby for 35 years. Nowadays I get my hobby fix by painting bodies. I donīt care for the wild tribal paint-jobs that are all the rage. I prefer paintwork that might be actually used on a full size race car. Therefore for you viewing pleasure my latest......the 2017 Ford GT in my interpretation of team Ganassiīs American colors.
Very nice!!!!
Texas Postman likes this.
glennhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #495
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun Tom View Post
I'm right there with you. All my cars are painted like real cars would be. Going against the trend RULES!