Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Please help me,painting body with Tamiya can >

Please help me,painting body with Tamiya can

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help me,painting body with Tamiya can

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy Please help me,painting body with Tamiya can

Hi guys,first of all I just spent the past 2 hours searching for answers that I was looking for and had no luck but I did read a few other posts and has a better idea now.

Just learning how to paint shells for on road (drift cars) with Tamiya cans (yes I do know I have to use PS range paint)

1st one I did I stuffed up big time,I wanted a matte finish on a HPI Mercedez S600 and someone told me to flat clear the inside will also bring out a matte finish,so my stupid ass listened to him and did flat clear (PS-55) then used gunmetal (PS-23). Anyways,I some how got some rans on it so I just left it and didnt even back it with no other paint.

2nd one I did was a HPI Mustang for a friend,the shell was in yellow colour(ps-6) everything else came out fine until when I backed it with black (PS-5) the black just went thru the yellow and made it looks like shit.

I did watch alot of youtube videos and read alot of guide & tips and I followed all the procedures as in very light coat,another light coat,then medium coat then last coat and backing,generally I wait about 10 minutes or so in between coats+hair dryer in between them. I normally paint the shell until I dont see thru the shell underlight.

Im about to do a Yokomo S13 Silvia and I really really dont want to stuff it up as it is not excatly a cheap shell and I do like the car cause it looks like the same one as I used to have.

I dont know if it is the way Im painting is wrong or Im just hopeless in general.

Please give me some tips or advices guys.

Thank you in advance
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

BTW,Im going to be doing the Yokomo S13 in Tamiya PS Iridescent Blue / Green.
Should I be backing it with Silver,white or black ?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

When you back it with white it will enhance the original color and make it bright. Silver will make it appear a bit dull but could add a bit of sparkle depending on the primary color. Black will just make it look dark, as you found out earlier. It's best to do multiple thin coats instead of one or two thick coats.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Always start with the darkest color, if that color is transparent you will need to back it before you move on the next color. Matt is correct backing with white normally makes the surface color brighter thou silver can have a nice effect. Silver normally does a good job of stopping bleed through like you got with the yellow car backing with black. It is not fool proof but I have had very good luck backing a light color with silver then shooting a dark color when I had to.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to use the right colour backing and wreck a couple more to learn how to paint properly.