Pactra Paint Being Discontinued

Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Pactra Paint Being Discontinued

I read over on a model railroad forum that Testors is discontinuing a few of its product lines. Pactra is on the list to be cut. I have my bodies painted for me now, but I still use Pactra cans to spray practice bodies. Guess I'll have to find something else soon.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My LHS told me today that he heard from his rep at Great Planes that Pactra is being axed. That may or may not mean that Testors will re-release polycarb paints under their own name? I like the Pactra white, silver and black for covering and undercoats. It spreads much further than Tamiya polycarb.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

Testors is discontinuing the Pactra, PollyScale and Floquil paint lines and accessories under those brand names. They are not coming back in any form.

They are closing a 115,000 sq ft. production facility and "merging" it with an existing 27,000 sq ft. facility. Do the math. The 170 current employees are not all going to fit under that new roof. There are many in the Model Railroad side of things that are very upset. The Testors facebook page has blown up with close to 100 negative comments since about 6pm last night.

Testors (RPM Brands) is a P.O.S. company in many peoples eyes right now. I'm sorry but Faskolor won't do the kinds of things you can do with Pactra Laquer and I'm not sold on Spaztik quite yet. I'm pretty much going to have to learn to paint all over again with whatever I choose.

Feel free to flog Testors on your own.....

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Te...ef=ts&filter=2

The train guys have been holding their own but not much comment from the RC painters yet.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Looks like the pre-painted body market is about to get a boost?

Guess I'd best inventory my on hand rattle cans - as Pactra is all I use. Make sure I've got enough to finish what I have. Thanks for the heads up.

[edit - so is this an environmental issue coming to head? Is there a fed regulation coming into play forcing this? I can't believe its an economics-driven situation alone. Not at what a rattle can of paint sells for what's in it.]

-AC-

Last edited by AHR43; 05-21-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have no problem with the pactra stuff going out. They were outdated. If you can paint with the pactra paint you should have no problem switching to Spazstix or RCS. They are so much easier to get great results with.

It absolutely floors me with their decision on Floquil and Polly Scale though. There are so many modelers that wont use anything else.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What about the Testors Custom Laquer system? Those colors are Lexan friendly and honestly that would be more of a loss to me than the Pactra line. I love Pactra's Indy silver because of the metal flake in it, but I think I can get by without the other stuff. Tamiya has awesome rattle cans. Im not saying that the Pactra stuff isnt a loss, but I think I will usually be able to get the look I wan't with alternative products.

Sad that they have to do this.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

This sucks for me. I have specific colors that I paint for two or three guys and then back it with another color from them. I have already called my LHS and had them hold the one color they have in stock, (all 5 bottles) and he is ordering the other two I need (6 jars each) just so I can have them for future use. I just hope the order gets filled and that there hasn't been a run at the suppliers.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I love Pactra its sad that it will be gone...

well on the bright side, SpazStix FTW!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow...For someone to say "#1 brand of paints and accessories for finishing rc cars" ...and then drop it?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

...And it's not environmental.
"Friday, May 17th, 2013

Dear Valued Partner,

I am writing to inform you about changes that are taking place at the Testor Corporation. For over 80
years, we have provided premium paints and finishing systems to the craft and hobby industry. Today,
we announced that we are transforming our business in order to more effectively address the changing
needs of our consumers and their interests.

Weve made the decision to exit the following businesses within the Testor® Brand family - Pactra®,
Floquil®, Polyscale®, and ColorArtz®. This will enable the Testor Corporation to return to our foundation
of success providing premium, innovative product that inspires creativity. We will continue to accept
orders and ship product for a limited time based on available quantities.

Going forward, the following brands will be critical to our success and development Testor®, Model
Master, and Aztek®. These brands will be infused with marketing support, innovation and operational
efficiencies.

In support of this, we have announced a consolidation of operations at our Rockford facilities. Over the
next several months we will provide updates critical to your order and delivery needs as well as product
availability. We assure you there will be no disruption to service during this transition.
Our commitment to the Testor brand has never been stronger. By implementing these changes, and the
ability to leverage all of Rust-Oleums world class services, we are more strongly poised to take your
business to the next level through product and merchandising innovations, and increased customer
intimacy. Please contact me or your sales manager directly with any questions.

We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,

Kristin J. Schiro
Director of Sales & Marketing"
Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Mel
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Well I'm screwed..
Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Sad news for those who use pactra on a regular basis, myself I never did use pactra except for an ocassional rattle can here and there.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Hmmm, what could we use instead........hmmmmmm,...........

RCS!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Go to www.ParmaPSE.com for all you paint needs with..In my opinion the #1 R/C paint on the market- FasKolor

Sorry- had to do it
Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave
Hmmm, what could we use instead........hmmmmmm,...........

RCS!
Could be an answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.