Wiki Posts
Search

Spastix and Fascolor

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Spastix and Fascolor

Just wondering if it is OK to use these different types of paint on the same body or will there be a reaction with the two different bases.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As long as you give the paint a little time, then there should be no reactio at all.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
As long as you give the paint a little time, then there should be no reactio at all.

Not entirely true. Lacquer paints that are heavy on thinner and applied too liberally will cause cured faskolor to develop a strong hatred of you and your hopes for a nice looking body.

Allowing the faskolor to dry is the first step. The second is making sure you don't rush your laquer coats.

As long as your coats are light, and allow them to dry, spazstix (or any other laquer paint) will not "curdle" faskolors underneath. If you put on too much too quick it will work into the faskolors and break down the chemical bonds.

Because the laquer "melts" the paint, laquer based paints can also melt previous laquer coats as well. Chrome is especially susceptable to this, and rushing coats of chrome will dull the first coat as the laquer bleeds in and disrupts the bonds. Light coats are key.

On a side note: Never never never never under any circumstances ever ever ever spray pactra pearl white onto faskolors. Every time I've done this (twice) the laquer in the pearl immediately and without any remourse reacted strongly with the faskolors.

Pactra silver can have a similar reaction if you spray too liberally, but not nearly as bad as pearl white.

Kcd
Old 05-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Would the application of a pactra clear coat help prevent this. if it can withstand nitro fuel shouldnt it be able to withstand laquer????????
Old 05-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TexasPete
Would the application of a pactra clear coat help prevent this. if it can withstand nitro fuel shouldnt it be able to withstand laquer????????

Sure. But the question should be can faskolor withstand clear coat. If it can, then great. You're set. Having never used it, I can't tell you. I just back with pactra white. Assuming you're not dipping the body in fuel, there shouldn't be any problems. I've never had fuel be the cause of my paints demise. It gets scratched/melted/bent/cracked long before.

Is the clear coat lacquer based though? If it's the same stuff as say pactra pearl white minus the pearl, then the thinner that makes up the paint will probably have an adverse effect on the faskolor.

The best strategy for using both acryllic and lacquer is to paint the lacquer first, if possible. If you can't do this (as with chrome, which should be painted last, if possible), then you need to make sure your coats are light. There should not be any problems if you account for the fact that lacquer thinner in lacquer paints will strip acryllic if you put on too much.

The problem with pactra pearl white (or metallics) is that there is so much thinner in the mix that it sprays a much thicker coat then you need much too quickly. I've never used spray chrome (only airbrush) or spray flips (again, only airbrushed) and I don't know whether the lacquer mixes are as harsh as pactras.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

I was assuming that he wanted to use Faskolor to BACK the spazstix paints.

I don't think I would use Spazstix over Faskolor though.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mad Mackem
Just wondering if it is OK to use these different types of paint on the same body or will there be a reaction with the two different bases.
An additional aside to this question....

In fact, you NEED to pair spazstix chrome (or alclad, or any other lacquer base chrome) with an acrylic black backer (such as faskolor). This is because a lacquer based black will eat into the chrome coats and dull the finish. Water based paints have no adverse effect on chrome and therefore provide the brightest finish. This is, of course, assuming you give the chrome adequate time to dry between coats and 24 hours to cure before backing.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Is the clear coat lacquer based though?
The Pactra clear coat is acrylic based

For my next body, I was going to use Pactra Metallic Blue in the Rattle can, Back that with Pactra Indy Silver in the rattle can. With an airbrush I would then apply SpazStix Glow Blue for my second color and back that with Spaz Stix White Ultra Glow Backer. The Spaz Stix colors are found under the acrylics section on TowerHobbies. The acrylics shouldnt effect the Pactra paints should they? Im not sure what base is used for rattle can polycarbs.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TexasPete
The Pactra clear coat is acrylic based

For my next body, I was going to use Pactra Metallic Blue in the Rattle can, Back that with Pactra Indy Silver in the rattle can. With an airbrush I would then apply SpazStix Glow Blue for my second color and back that with Spaz Stix White Ultra Glow Backer. The Spaz Stix colors are found under the acrylics section on TowerHobbies. The acrylics shouldnt effect the Pactra paints should they? Im not sure what base is used for rattle can polycarbs.

Acrylics do not have any effect on lacquer (unless the lacquer is still wet, but you would know better). Polycarb spray is lacquer based. I think all spray is lacquer based.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for your replies. I was in fact using Spastix first and as RC Tech was down I went ahead and used the Fascolor anyway. It seems to have worked well, no problems.

Your responses have brought up another question. I recently bought some Spastix chrome and was told I needed the Spastix black gloss backer for it. Am I reading correctly that this will not work with chrome and I need to use Fascolor black?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 05-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your replies. I was in fact using Spastix first and as RC Tech was down I went ahead and used the Fascolor anyway. It seems to have worked well, no problems.

Your responses have brought up another question. I recently bought some Spastix chrome and was told I needed the Spastix black gloss backer for it. Am I reading correctly that this will not work with chrome and I need to use Fascolor black?

Thanks

Jeff
Spazstix of course tells you to use their own product, that doesn't mean you can't use something else, obviously. Spazstix black backer is designed for their chrome, I believe. I think it's acrylic. You could take a whiff of it, it's pretty obvious what's lacquer based and what is acrylic (water based).

If it's not acrylic I wouldn't use it. Faskolor won't eat into the chrome which is why I'd use it over a lacquer paint.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Good, I might have some fun sniffing the paint as well. I wish fascolor made a chrome. I find it much easier to clean the airbrush with acrylic.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Good, I might have some fun sniffing the paint as well. I wish fascolor made a chrome. I find it much easier to clean the airbrush with acrylic.

They do have fas-satin chrome, or something like that. It wouldn't be quite as reflective, probably more like stainless steel, but I bet it's brighter than silver.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the information, I will look out for it next time I'm in the Hobby Shop.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kcdzim
An additional aside to this question....

In fact, you NEED to pair spazstix chrome (or alclad, or any other lacquer base chrome) with an acrylic black backer (such as faskolor). This is because a lacquer based black will eat into the chrome coats and dull the finish. Water based paints have no adverse effect on chrome and therefore provide the brightest finish. This is, of course, assuming you give the chrome adequate time to dry between coats and 24 hours to cure before backing.
Thats not entirely true.
ALL Aerosol Chrome paint (SpazStix, Alclad II, or any other) is advised to be backed with a waterbased paint. I know from personal experiece (Im the distributer in the UK & Europe and work very closely with SS Inc) that while you can back the Aerosol chrome with the Gloss Black Backer, it needs to be done in light coats (and i mean light!). While we were waiting for the new formula for the Airbrush version, i used the Aerosol Chrome which was using that same formula for my own shells and its fine to be backed with the Airbrush gloss black too, but obviously thats not much use for the average painter.

With Airbrush Chrome paint, (SS or Alc etc) your fine to back it with a waterbased, or the Gloss black backer, its a little more resiliant to other layers compared to the aerosol version.
From a personal view, ive not been a big fan of Pactra paints, asside from them having a tendancy to flake/crumble on a shell and chips when cutting shells, i've also found sometimes it doesnt work well on the spazstix chrome, i dont know if its due to the laquer mix there, or what, but it seems a little more aggressive, at least the Spaz Stix paints are pre-mixed to work with each other.

Mad Mackem:
Who said you should use the SS Gloss black?
I cant speak for the modelshops etc when they give information as to what should be used, but to my knowledge the guys at Spaz Stix Inc will advise you what can be used, i'd be suprised if they singled out there own items, i know if someone asks me what can be used, then i'll tell it as it is, Waterbased paints should always work as a backer, and if cured properly, then they should be fine to be sprayed onto with Spaz Stix paint too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.