Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
painting 1st body, cut out before of after >

painting 1st body, cut out before of after

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

painting 1st body, cut out before of after

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

Default painting 1st body, cut out before of after

I'm getting ready to paint my 1/8 buggy body, just using a few different colours in Tamiya spray cans & just wanted to know if its better to cut out the body shape before or after painting. I have seen pics of them painted before being cut out & was thinking that would be the best way but then see some clear bodies that were cut out before painting.
Whats the best way, Paint first cut later ??

Thanks
Paul
Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

You'll see opinions on this going both ways. My preference is before. I cut out the outline, vents, then mark body holes and ream them and test fit the body. (Last steps only if I have the car) then I paint. I can see doing it the other way if you are just painting and shipping.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Best answer I can give. How good are you at cutting a body? Can you do it clean without messing up the paint. I use the score and snap method. Never need a dremel. Have you ever drilled body holes in a painted body, if so how did that go. My personal bodies I cut/drill first. Customer bodies unless asked they are never cut.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

I've never done a body before, only had RTR type cars & not long got my first kit so its all new. Have painted model cars n crap before but never an RC body & never cut one out either, Just trimmed a couple up here & there.
I was thinking paint first but by the sound of it I might be better off getting it cut out & fitted first so I don't stuff the paint up.
Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

As you have never done the driling and triming before and your using rattle cans I suggest that you mount and trim first. As a painter I prefer to paint untrimed bodies but that really depends on what the customer wants.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the advice, I will do that & make sure its fitted first, just need to get a decent pair of sharp curved body trimming scissors.

Also, I'm going to use some masking tape (low tack) just to add a little bit of a design, just some stripes etc, but not sure how long I should let the paint dry for before removing tape & how long should I let 1 colour set for before applying another colour.

I was going to apply the black first because its the darkest & the main colour, then remove some of the tape, apply the red, then remove the rest of the tape & spray the silver. Just not sure if each colour should fully dry or if just slightly tacky is ok before next colour & to remove tape.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Let it dry! if you are in a hurry use light coats of each it dries faster and will allow you to paint it in one day.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

I hit each coat with a hair dryer. When the paint on the inside turns from wet and shinny over to dull matte, its ok to put on the next.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Ok thanks, just wasn't sure if peeling the masking tape off would cause any paint to peel off with it. Just waiting on scissors to turn up to cut body out then I'm right to go.

Just going to wash the body real good with hot soapy water then rinse & dry well, been told that will be alright & will get it clean properly, is that ok.?