Community
Wiki Posts
Search

painting the wing

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Default painting the wing

this may sound really dumb but here it goes.... which side do u apply the paint for spoilers? i never pay attention! top in or out?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

I recently started to paint the wing on the top side to get a dull finish, it's pretty hot
Old 04-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default depends on the body...

The spoiler varies with body manufacturer. However, if you want the paint to shine on the top, you want to paint on the outside of the curve. On protoform, that means you need to remove the overspray film and shoot from the wrong side of the body. On Parma (alfa's for example, they mold the spoiler so that you paint from the inside of the body.

And hpi, I think they do something completely daffy, mold the separate with the overspray film on the wrong side. Not sure though, haven't painted an HPI body in a while.

kcd
Old 04-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: depends on the body...

Originally posted by Kcdzim
The spoiler varies with body manufacturer. However, if you want the paint to shine on the top, you want to paint on the outside of the curve. On protoform, that means you need to remove the overspray film and shoot from the wrong side of the body. On Parma (alfa's for example, they mold the spoiler so that you paint from the inside of the body.

And hpi, I think they do something completely daffy, mold the separate with the overspray film on the wrong side. Not sure though, haven't painted an HPI body in a while.

kcd

im working on protoform bodies right now, what do u prefer?
Old 04-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: depends on the body...

Originally posted by dakrat
im working on protoform bodies right now, what do u prefer?
To paint or use? Just spoilers? The parma alfa spoiler is a total pain in the butt to paint. but then, the stratus 3.0 has that heinous wing mount that does the same thing.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

i working on protoform mazda6 and the wing is different. it has two more fins for more support and comes with big ass screws. what side should i paint the wing?
Old 04-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by dakrat
i working on protoform mazda6 and the wing is different. it has two more fins for more support and comes with big ass screws. what side should i paint the wing?
Ah, hmm... I gotcha.

I tend to paint the wing last (or cut it off the rest of the mold) and not back it with white or silver or whatever, so that the color on it matches on either side.

ummmm, other than that, if I feel like spending the time, I paint on the inside of side dam. If I'm rushing, or it doesn't matter, I paint the outside. And I used to paint the optional inner air dams, but no one uses them (or at least the people I paint for don't) so now I leave them clear.

But like all other protoforms, paint on the overspray film side (on the outside of the curve at the back of the spoiler). Be sure to mask the inside though, cause you don't want the other paint from painting the rest of the body, obviously.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Or you can buy silver of carbon fibre sticker sheets and put that on the outside of the wing. Looks better than the paint.