Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest way to practice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Cheapest way to practice?

What's the cheapest way to practice on a something that would simulate a lexan shell? I haven't tried glass. I'm guessing I could paint glass and then just put it tray of thinner to remove it and then start again. I just wasn't sure if the adhesion would be the same.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

2-liter soda bottles....empty of course!!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I usually use transparent A4 sheet. It is not really lexan, but close enough.
good for testing color schemes or color backing....
Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Transparencie (sp) sheets that you can get at the office supply store for about a 20 cents a piece.
http://www.officemax.com/office-supp...oduct-ARS25666
Or the document pockets work also. Just cut them apart and you get two pieces to play with.
I also grab even piece of clear packaging material I come across for test scraps.
I save all the trim edges from bodies I paint.

I find you can get a lot of practice on plain paper.
So much of what you need to do for RC is based on paintflow and trigger control, you can practice that on anything.
I save all of my trash 8.5x11 paper from work, and use the backs for practice and test sprays.
The only downside of practice on paper versus lexan, is that the paint doesn't "push around" from the air on paper like it does on lexan, so it fools you. You can paint fine lines on paper that you never could on lexan.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

+1 on the transparancies.

I try out new techniques on them all the time. I usually do smaller squares masked off with tape and compare different techniques side by side to help me decide which is a better effect. I have even done side and top views of actual paintjobs on them and sent them to customers for review and approval prior to starting the actual body.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Maybe only me, but I think the cheapest way to practice is to use your race bodies and try things that are in your skill level. Gradually increase the work level as your skill improves.
This way you are not wasting materials practicing, like paint, blades, liquid mask and so on.

Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Brush control and all is great on just plain paper, I was thing more of masking and different paint combo's with different backings etc.. Like the license plates I use to use way back when except a see thru equivalent.

I use to use all my scraps to test on. I wouldn't have a bit of unpainted lexan around. I like the pop bottle idea.

Thanks

Zero
Old 02-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

If you end up using glass you don't need to use thinner to clean for reuse, you can just scrape it off with a razor blade (windex helps here), it will not scratch the glass. I've used lexan scraps and soda bottles.