Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying something and need input

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Default Trying something and need input

First I must admit that I am lacking in artistic talent. I tried a marble paint scheme before and do to a change in the type of paint which dried tooo fast it did not work. So I was going to try something a little different and wanted your opinions on what I'm doing and what I need to change. I'm using all rattle cans so be patient. Also if you could recommend the Pactra or Tamiya paints for the different colors and why(slower drying, better backing....) as this would be a big help.

I would like to have most of the shell a blue marble look. For that I was going to try (read about it in a rc mag.) a candy/translucent blue as a base coat. Next use silver (Pactra or Tamiya) and spray small sections and blot with plastic wrap. Then back with black. Sound good so far?? Next I want a solid black black along the front with bubbles (Mickey heads) flowing back and along the bottom of the sides. When do I want to do this, first or last? Would it look bad if I did the blue then masked off the black? or do I do the black then the marble?? I know none of this is overly complicated but this scares the ....... out of some of us.
Thanks for any help!!!
Mark
Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

I normally like to put down a transparent blue base first for marbling (in blue) however since your using rattle cans I recommend getting metallic blue,

mask off the areas the will be anything other than marbled, lay a wet layer of metallic blue paint down, dab with plastic wrap (cling film/ plastic bag or other), dry this with hair drier (hot setting) back with black. Marble done.

The mickey heads if there in black do them first or after the marble in this case would be fine.

General rule to follow is darkest colour is layed down first, lightest colour last. in this case the metallic blue will be fine going down first. Metallics are more resistant to bleeding.

good luck

Last edited by U1timate PigDog; 02-15-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added text
Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Metallic blue?? Ok. Either Pactra or Tamyia?? In the past I tried a marble by spraying black and then trying to dab with plastic then a blue coat over. I practiced with Tamyia paint and went to paint with Pactra and it dried WAY to fast. I ended up with something that looked black with blue blended in. In one fender it worked but it still only looked Ok? This is why I was going to try the 3 step method from the rc magazine.

Just because I have so little experience with this, could you explain why use the metallic blue (and not a candy/translucent) then back with the black. Thanks too for the darkest to lightest rule. I was wondering that but didn't want to sound tooo stupid.

Thanks again!!

Mark
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

Theres nothing wrong with laying candy or a transparent but it would cost more in terms of buying paint, if you want to use the candy make sure yo know how many coats you need to lay down before backing.

you would lay the candy blue down first in smooth even coats until required coats gives the right colour when backed,

you would then lay a wet layer of silver down and dab this with the wrap and then back with black,

the reason you dont want to dab the black is that it will give the effect of a black with blue areas, rather than blue with black areas.

The metallic blue would just make it simpler and cheaper to prodce a similar effect.

Heres a picture of transparent blue, followed by pearl blue (metalic) dabbed with wrap and backed with black. I use the transparent to remove a little of the sparkle of the metallics, If I didn't use the transparent blue first the metallic would sparkle a little too much for my liking so you could forget the transparent blue if doing it the same way.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Tech Adept

Also when you lay the wet layer no matter which way you choose to do it, dont try to cover the whole body in one go, you'd have no chance of dabbing it all before it dries, instead just spray one side dab it, spay otherside dab it etc, does matter if you get a little overspray on the other areas of the marble just dabb it and then do that part next.

Hope that all makes sense.

Personally Ive never used pactra but I'm sure they would both work fine.

Last edited by U1timate PigDog; 02-17-2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: added text