R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography

Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Should I upgrade to an Iwata

I'm thinking of purchasing an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. Right now I use a Badger No. 150. I don't usually paint for other people, just myself and a couple of friends here and there. Here is some of what I have done with the Badger. Yes my shading sucks, I blame some of that on my airbrush. How much would I benefit by upgrading to the Iwata. Also I would try to paint a couple bodies for cheap just to make back the money for the gun, so I guess it could pay for itself.

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...n2/RC%20Paint/

Thanks
Mitten
Mitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sk3tch

You seem to be doing fine without it...but yes.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

your stuff looks good. I love my hp-cs so much I bought 2.
1967rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

Those look good man. I've been running a Badger Crescendo for years but I have an Iwata CR I bought second hand that I've yet to try. I really should give it a go and see what I'm missing.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a badger 150 and it was impossible for me to do decent shading, since i found the pattern too wide and not easy to control. I bought an iwata cs and it is all another story.... You will see improvement as you will switch...
chobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

If you're the least bit serious about airbrushing you should definately consider it. I went from using the Badger Crescendo to the Iwata HP-CS and now I would never dare to use the Badger for fine shading
Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

the Iwata Kustom KCS seems like a brush you would like at your skill level.

You can pick it up for around 200 most places, Think of it as a Bugatti version of the HPCS, even has a slightly bigger cup, but same feel in your hand as a hpcs, same size needle and is convertible to .5

HPCS is such a great brush for the money tho, you really cant go wrong, after trying them all Iwata is such a safe bet and even easier transition.
ChEmDoCtOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChEmDoCtOr View Post
the Iwata Kustom KCS seems like a brush you would like at your skill level.

You can pick it up for around 200 most places, Think of it as a Bugatti version of the HPCS, even has a slightly bigger cup, but same feel in your hand as a hpcs, same size needle and is convertible to .5

HPCS is such a great brush for the money tho, you really cant go wrong, after trying them all Iwata is such a safe bet and even easier transition.
Isn't the kustom series brush like $550.00???
Jimmy Avila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Not even close bro
Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Kustoms are overkill for RC painting. I am sure they are great brushes, as I have never used one, but for RC you can get a cheaper brush that will do the job. IMO. I have 2 Paasche Talons, and 2 Devilbiss Dagr that do what I need them to.

Jimmy you are thinking of the Kustom Micron. Thats around 5 bills.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

At some point the features of the airbrush exceed the performance of the paints being used in it.

The best airbrushes are aimed at fine arts applications that spray mediums we rarely use in RC painting.

Finding the airbrush that performs best for you, based on the paints and techniques you are wanting to execute, is the key.

Even with unlimited budgets, the best airbrush will not perform if you are using the wrong materials in it. Or using them improperly.

I concur that the HPCS is a strong performer with almost anything the RC painter will pump through it, unless you are shooting bass-boat size flakes.

The HPCS will not hold anyone back from doing excellent work, but a Kustom Micron will not instantly make you Craig Fraser.

Colors By Dave - I love to paint
Colors_By_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Sounds like an upgrade is in order. Thank all of you for your advice and compliments.

Chemdoctor, is that brush worth the extra $. I know some of that depends on me and what I want out of a brush. It will only be used for RC, I typically only use Fascolor, and I only do about 6-10 bodies a year. But that could change once I get a new brush.

Thanks Mitten
Mitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I'll sell you my spare hpcs for $100.00 shipped. I used it for around 3months. It has always been cleaned thoroughly and lubed.
Let me know.
Jimmy Avila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Tech Regular

I run Kustoms and HighLines from Iwata, noticeable difference in atomization and paint flow, there isnt a "tip" per-say to get clogged like most brushes have, even then clogging shouldnt be an issue, but I love them, and they are equivalent to the hpcs as for needle sizes. Built in MAC valves are a huge plus for me as well.

I usually use my KCS with a .5 needle for most work, and the reg KCS or HPCH for detail work with .3-.35 needles.

Overkill? not for uber thinned paints, but I only really shoot transparents most of the time.

No matter what you buy, get what you want, and we all know that the hpcs is a true rc champ brush for paint.

edit: just saw your question, I wouldnt recommend getting anything but a hpcs for you, thats only a few bodies to paint, I just cant see dropping the extra 80 bucks for the Kustom or Highlines, I paint part time sort off but not really when I get a chance kinda, so I bought nice brushes.