Search

L.A.B. Airbrush

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM
B24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default L.A.B. Airbrush

Here are a few samples of my work. Feel free to comment, any constructive critacism would be appreciated

My first attempt at real fire

This one is all paint, even my logo on the side.

This customer asked for red and black camo

A little bit of ghost flame

This one was painted for the 10th annual Race Against Cancer in memory of my father.

Last edited by racer1812; 12-01-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

what kind of paint do you use?

If its acrylic, then hear me out.

You already know the value of transparent paints, one color can be many different colors depending on what you back with, so keep that in mind, I rarely use opaque colors save for backing and cheap customers.

Also, for your shading with the black, use a transparent smoke black, that way its not so intense, otherwise, I think your going to be a great painter, actually, you already are.

Also, laying down a Transparent base from autoair before doing detail work will help get rid of ghost farts.

Great stuff man, keep it coming, cant wait to see what you come up with in the future, I see your "style" emerging already!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice looking paint work. The green true flames turned out nice,
Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice looking paint work. The green true flames turned out nice,
Old 02-03-2012, 08:08 PM
B24
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ChEmDoCtOr

You already know the value of transparent paints, one color can be many different colors depending on what you back with, so keep that in mind, I rarely use opaque colors save for backing and cheap customers.

Also, for your shading with the black, use a transparent smoke black, that way its not so intense, otherwise, I think your going to be a great painter, actually, you already are.
Also, laying down a Transparent base from autoair before doing detail work will help get rid of ghost farts.
Great stuff man, keep it coming, cant wait to see what you come up with in the future, I see your "style" emerging already!

I am using Faskolor

Would that be Faskolor FASTINT Black - #40191, for fine shade work I have been using black thinned down.

Are you refering to the overspray that clings to the open areas when shading like in the 5th picture down on the yellow and white truck? If so thanks for that bit of advise.

Great stuff man, keep it coming, cant wait to see what you come up with in the future, I see your "style" emerging already
Thanks for the advice and kind words, looking thru all the threads of other painters just amaze me. There is some major talent here.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Welcome aboard. I also see you are on at CFX. Lots of great stuff already, keep 'em coming!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

fastint will work, but even that is pretty dark, I prefer to lay down a few coats to build up the shading to the level I want.

put it this way, I use Transparent Smoke Black from autoair, I dont just thin or reduce it, I add transparent base to it to make it more transparent.

As for the overspray due to static buildup, if you lay down a layer of transparent base, overspray wont attract, and more paint sticks where you shoot it, also, if you lay down some shading, it looks more fluid when you lay down the transparent base, it dries clear, only use 1 coat.

I dont use fascolor, since autoair colors are for the most part cheaper when you figure they start in 4oz bottles for 6-8 bucks.

Things I would get ASAP.

AutoAir Colors Brand stuff.

Transparent smoke black (shading)
Transparent base (invaluable)
4011 flash reducer (nothing will thin more effectively than this)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChEmDoCtOr
fastint will work, but even that is pretty dark, I prefer to lay down a few coats to build up the shading to the level I want.

put it this way, I use Transparent Smoke Black from autoair, I dont just thin or reduce it, I add transparent base to it to make it more transparent.

As for the overspray due to static buildup, if you lay down a layer of transparent base, overspray wont attract, and more paint sticks where you shoot it, also, if you lay down some shading, it looks more fluid when you lay down the transparent base, it dries clear, only use 1 coat.

I dont use fascolor, since autoair colors are for the most part cheaper when you figure they start in 4oz bottles for 6-8 bucks.

Things I would get ASAP.

AutoAir Colors Brand stuff.

Transparent smoke black (shading)
Transparent base (invaluable)
4011 flash reducer (nothing will thin more effectively than this)

Anyplace in particular you can get this paint cheap in bulk? I am using faskolor ATM and I am feeling the switch to Autoair.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

dixieart or coastairbrush
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

I use Chicago Airbrush Supply, best service IMO and that is everything to me.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 PM
B24
Tech Adept

Would the AutoAir products be compatable with Faskolor, I have accumulated a lot of Faskolor and would like to still use it up. Also turns out one of the jobbers for my Body Shop is a distributor for AutoAir, so that will work out well.

Also, thanks for the kind words and advice.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Yes autoair is perfectly compatible.

Fascolor is bottle by createx, createx also makes auto air as well as the Wicked color line, which like auto air uses a mild flashing agent, no hair dryer needed with auto air, unless your doin one body at a time.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:12 AM
B24
Tech Adept

Adding a few more from last week.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

that green flame job on the sct is nice, love what you did with the headlights man!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

When you are doing the drop shadows on light colors you should use transparen grey or a darker shade of the base color. And go light. Remember it's supposed to be a shadow. Less is more. Other than that great job.

Here is an example of realistic shadowing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.