Fill and Paint question

Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Fill and Paint question

So I have a HPI R34 Skyline body with the Wing post cut out because I want it wingless.
Im not sure how to cover the holes. I was thinking I could glue a bit of lexan on the underside and fill the top with bondo, sand it smooth then paint the outside of the shell.

Good idea?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That would mean painting the outside of the shell to cover the bondo and sanding. I'd say cut two round plugs as close as you can to fill the holes, glue those to another piece of lexan and put them on under the body, THEN paint the underside.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Personally I would of left it with a wing or at least the posts but heres how I'd do it in your case, cut 2 small pieces of lexan the same size as you need them to fill the holes.

I would then spray the body and the pieces the colour of choice from the insideof the body, then I would attach another piece of lexan across each of the holes from the inside with any glue type stuff, shu goo anything that will set it hard and tough.

Then simply glue in the painted lexan pieces from the top, you will be left with a small ring around each hole but will work alot better than painting on the outside of the body.

good luck and hope it turns out well.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

If you are OK with painting and clearing the outside, and don't plan on giving the repaired area a lot of flexing, you might be fine. I would test the Bondo's adhesion to lexan on some scrap material before cutting into the shell.

If it's strictly a display body, your solution should be fine.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies.
Well I've never painted a body on the outside so im not sure how it compares to inside. But I was going to use the body for drifting so im sure im going to be bumping into stuff.
I was also thinking of plugging the holes and just cutting out a vinyl of the same color or carbon fiber and putting that over the trunk and I can just make it a basher.

Edit: I painted the body last night a Bright Silver color and I really messed up. Tons of drips and runs everywhere. So I may have to paint the outside. If thats the case I can try bondo. I heard using CA Glue on bondo will harden it as well?