Airbrush problem

Old 12-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Airbrush problem

I just started airbrushing about a month a go. When I told a friend that I was airbrushing he told me that he had a box filled with paint and "stuff". When I got the box the "stuff" was about 30 bottles of paint (most never open or almost full) a small airbrush compressor and an airbrush: Iwata HP Cplus. Needless to say I was pretty excited. Who ever used the brush didn't clean it very well (my friend got the box from someone who just wanted to get rid of it) So I cleaned it out and ran some paint thru it.

The problem I'm having it the paint doesn't come out all the time. sometimes it's really light and then really heavy. I tried different paint and psi and it didn't change anything. When I run water or cleaner it works just fine. I did find that the neeedle has a small bend at the end. I've got a new one coming.

Anyone have any suggestions on what might wrong?? I know this is a quality brush so I'd really like to get it up and running.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the really long post
Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

The small nozzle size on the HPC is not suited for thicker paints usually applied in RC. If you thin them with a proper reducer, you may get ok results. But metallics will clog that tip.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Disassemble the airbrush and soak in Auto Air airbrush restorer, and don't shoot anything more viscous than thinned opaques, and as Dave said, no metallics. Get a cheap brush with a big nozzle for metallics. Good luck!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

There are so many things that could be the problem. Imo I would buy a new brush and fresh paint and you will have less headache. Iwata makes great airbrushes I use a hp-cs $149.99 and a neo gravity feed $49.99 at tower hobbies. both work great.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

I'm going to have to agree with the first two comments, you will need to reduce the paint to get it flowing well, you could buy some optional parts (needle, nozzle etc) to help you spray thicker (heavier paints) if you wanted.

The brush will work great once you've got it going for you though.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Here is a link to the parts guide for the HP C +

http://www.iwata-medea.com/images/iw...%20IM_REV2.pdf

You will see there that the C+ has two options for nozzles, small and SMALLER! .3mm (stock) and .2mm

Now, if what you have is an HP-C (not a Plus), you can convert it to .4mm. Still a small orifice for most of the paints used in RC painting, unless you reduce viscosity. And still too small for metallics, and forget about glitter or flakes.

The HPC+ is really a fine arts airbrush, intended for artists who spray thin media.

Read at Iwata's site and you will see the .5mm brushes are stated as best for thicker materials, and the Revolution CR is stated as intended for RC work.

I own an HPC and NEVER USE IT.

I own three HPCS's; the one that I setup for .5mm is used 98% of the time. The .35mm brush is used for chrome and Alclad or Spaz (water-thin paint).

For flake and glitter, I have a siphon Badger with a 1.0mm nozzle and pull the needle back out of the nozzle and blow it on like single action.

I wish people would stop wasting their money on high end brushes like HPC+ and Kustom HighLines and then complain that they won't shoot wallpaper paste (FasWhite).

Read up and ask questions before you buy, and you won't get stuck with a $300 brush that doesn't function for the work you intend to do.

You don't buy a Cadillac CTS to haul horse manure. Sure it's a nice car, but a Ford F150 is the right tool for the job.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dave why didn't you throw your 2 cents in on my Iwata ? thread? I went and ordered the HP-C Plus. I should have went with the HP-CS huh??
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

The plus is a good brush, I'm sorry but an hpcs doesn't atomize as well as the plus, just thin your paints with 4011 reducer, get a shit brush for the metallics and opaques, you bought a good brush, besides, the hpcs has a .35, nearly the same as the plus with its .30 nozzle, neither brush is good for metallics...
Old 12-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cory29NT
Dave why didn't you throw your 2 cents in on my Iwata ? thread? I went and ordered the HP-C Plus. I should have went with the HP-CS huh??
I like the options the HP-CS with .5mm setup gives me. I don't have to reduce every color/type of paint I use. It's not as finicky as a .30 or .35 to get proper fluid flow. It's easier to clear and clean a taper seat .50 versus a screw in .30-35, and it was CHEAPER to buy. I can change colors more quickly and spend less time thinning paint with a .50 setup. Thinner paint also tends to push around with air, so you have to be more precise with how much you lay down. The fragile finer tip and needle on a .30 setup are more apt to damage in general use. The .50 needle tip is very robust and the nozzle takes a lot of abuse before needing to be replaced.

I really don't think the HP CS has held me back in my painting. When I want finest atomization, I use better paint with finer pigment, or shoot straight transparents, which have no grain to them, just pure tint.

No question the HPC+ is a better and more costly tool, it's just not best for EVERY media. Iwata even says this in their literature. Different media perform differently in different tools.

In the end, each person decides which too is best for what they hope to accomplish with it. Too many people assume more expensive is better.
One of the best painters I've seen does most of his work with the RevoCR, and it is his skill in controlling the tool that makes his work outstanding.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

Dave is pretty much giving the most accurate advice, and while I would love to help every one as much as possible, I think its best I just be quiet and point out that he is clearly going to be the best person to listen to in this regard!

Good stuff, I love how a thread, through questions and discovery lead to great information for those that arent able to find it on their own.

Dave, "you da man" ps, did you ever get that camera app lol?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Big Lens is loaded and being used. I'm still figuring out the best settings for it, but it is indeed a slick addition to the iPhone.

Thanks for the direction on that, otherwise I would still be looking for it among the 500,000 apps in the App Store!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'm glad that I didn't put out the $200ish for the brush (not that my wife would let me lol) Sometimes "free" isn't all it's cracked up to be. I was wondering if there was a way to convert the HPCplus to a bigger needle? If not I'll just keep using my Neo and save my money to buy an airbrush with a .5mm needle
Old 12-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

About what Dave said about the Revolution CR...That same artist led me into purchasing one when I first started. I use both the HP-CS and the CR and have to say I love them both...but the CR sure gives a lot of bang for the buck.

As far as a reducer...I use the 4011 and swear by it.