Wiki Posts
Search

Ferrari 333SP

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Ferrari 333SP

Hi All,

Since getting back into RC just this year after 4 years of uni, noticed that body styles have pretty much stagnated. I've always enjoyed the building and engineering side more than the actual racing, so to give me somehting to do, I decided to make my own body. I've always thought the Ferrari 333SP was fantastically gorgeous, so decided to make one in 10th scale.

It probably isn't legal for anything or won't perform as well as the current scale bodies, but I set myself a challenge, and nowadys so called scale saloons, all look like 'blobs'...... (can of worms opened I know! but everyones entitled to an opinon)

The body was drawn in AutoCAD from which the sections were created and cut out in cardboard. THese pictures show the current state of the project, next step is to fill the gaps.

Due to having experience in composite moulding, the body will initially be made in fibreglass and then wet lay carbon. Don't think it will ever become lexan, can't afford the tooling, but hey if I'm ever bored, I may make my own vac former........

Old 12-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Holy Cow is that cool. Very, very impressive stuff. What do you do when you're not bored?

dan
Old 12-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

very nice!keep us posted on your progress
Old 12-19-2004, 09:12 PM

I agree, very cool, especially since that has always been a favorite car of mine. Wouldn't a body like that only be good on an electric car though? Do some GTP cars so us Nitro guys can have an enclosed top.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Cheers for the compliments

Yes, it was originally intended for an electric car, although I'm not quie sure if it will fit on any chassis, might have to do some modifying on that front too.......

I also have a Porsche 962 on my computer, this will proably get made next if this one os successful, but I also have visions of Courage C65s and Zytek 04S'

Think I'm jumping a bit ahead of myself into dreamland at the mo, get this one finished first, and then depending on how much hassle it is/was will depend on where I go
Old 12-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

very cool i like the more scale bodies too. Even if they don't perform as well as some of the current blobs.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

dancin stu: great work!!!... I can't wait to see the finished product...
Old 12-25-2004, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

is that how bodies are made? thats cool as shit...are you in school? looking at those books in the back ground you know whats up...hehe...incompressible aerodynamics...buy it read it you will learn A TON. Make that body to fit a 1/10 190mm and i would buy it who knows...it could be bad ass and have a new class out there... 1/10 gtp

Last edited by PROMODVETTE; 12-25-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by PROMODVETTE
is that how bodies are made? thats cool as shit...are you in school? looking at those books in the back ground you know whats up...hehe...incompressible aerodynamics...buy it read it you will learn A TON. Make that body to fit a 1/10 190mm and i would buy it who knows...it could be bad ass and have a new class out there... 1/10 gtp
I wouldn't have thought they would make bodies like this, I would guess they would be 5 axis machined or rapid prototyped from tooling block from a 3D model.

I've just graduated actually, got a degree in automotive engineering and my first job out of it. I used to work for TVR, hence where all the knowledge of composites and moulding techniques, I know for a fact I wouldnt have been able to attempt something as complex as this without my experience gained there.

Regarding the books, yes I love my GTP/Group C cars, the aero on those cars was nothing short of amazing! although my main interest and knowledge base is in vehicle dynamics
Old 01-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Talking

you got the model done fill it in with clay then get an oven and a vacuum going. voila. I have seen the stuuf to do bodies advertised in car action somwhere or talk to Da hellion and see if he will pull the molding for you. I want 3 of those when you get them. I got a 10th scale pan car that is just right for those.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by John Malin
you got the model done fill it in with clay then get an oven and a vacuum going. voila. I have seen the stuuf to do bodies advertised in car action somwhere or talk to Da hellion and see if he will pull the molding for you. I want 3 of those when you get them. I got a 10th scale pan car that is just right for those.

Not keen on doing it with clay, I know it will warp some when I cook it. Just gonna use fibral and filler, so i can get a perfect finish, got many weeks of sanding and fettling to look forward too, but it will definately be worth it! Only trouble is I have to now move outdoors, polyester fumes indoors is not good and it creates a right mess, but its bloomin cold in the UK at the mo!

Cheers for the heads up on the moulding though, if anyone has the capability to do vacuum forming, they are more than welcome to have the plug after I've taken all the moulds off it that I require
Old 01-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by dancin stu
Cheers for the heads up on the moulding though, if anyone has the capability to do vacuum forming, they are more than welcome to have the plug after I've taken all the moulds off it that I require
Me! Me! I've got access to a vacuum forming shop. As a matter of fact, I also have access to an FDM machine (rapid prototype). Any chance you want to shoot them 3D files my way? If I can actually work these into lexan with the vac form, the first one is yours.
How in the world did you get hooked up with the 3D model for all these cars?
Old 01-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by SammyXp
Me! Me! I've got access to a vacuum forming shop. As a matter of fact, I also have access to an FDM machine (rapid prototype). Any chance you want to shoot them 3D files my way? If I can actually work these into lexan with the vac form, the first one is yours.
How in the world did you get hooked up with the 3D model for all these cars?
I dont actually have a 3D model of the car, I just found a shed load of drawings off t'internet and sat for many hours in photoshop and with ruler and pencil, taking dimensions. These were then transferred into CAD, so I had front, side and plan views of the car, then it was scaled and tweeked a bit till it looked perfect. I then printed off 1:1 sections from which the cardboard was cut.

Hopefully progress should resume this weekend, back at my house after the holidays.

SammyXP: cheers for the offer, but I hope you can understand that due to the amount of my time I have put into it, I am not just gonna give the drawings to someone, would have to weigh up a few options first
Old 01-08-2005, 06:18 AM
Tech Regular

Totally understandable, Stu. Considering that you constructed the 3D models from scratch, by simply looking at pan views, that is some very impressive work! You've definitely got a career ahead of you.
PM sent, if you want to make some sort of agreement, we might be able to work something out. It seems like the demand is there. We aren't the only ones that are tired of the amoeboid shaped cars out there and would like to see replicas of famous sporting and racing cars.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Couple of people have asked how I modelled it, well here are a couple of pics to help you understand, and maybe give someone else the chance to make themselves their favourite body:

After spending ages looking everywhere for good pictures, a few good ones were selected, such as this one, from which detailed measurements could be taken:

These measurements were input into AutoCAD, the image then being tweeked and scaled till you end up with something like this: The different colours representing the different cross sections throughout the model:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.