Search

Liquid Mask Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Liquid Mask Problem

Hey Guys,

I have just recently started using liquid mask and had a problem the other night. I put 3 coats of mask on the day before and had some flames drawn on the outside of the body as normal. I waited 24hrs and cut out the flames with a new xacto blade, and I also had another trim line i cut out below the flames. I peeled of the trimline first and everything below it was painted silver, it was a large area so i used a rattle can to get it done quick and even. I waited a few minutes and tried peeling the flames and they would not peel correctly so i had to remove all of the liquid mask. After i pulled it all off you could see a light score mark of all the flames on the body so i know i cut through the liquid mask completely. Did the silver paint cause the cut line in the flames to glue back together or something? The last body i prepped and painted i did the exact same method but i used fastcolor sprayed out of my airbrush instead of the pactra rattle can silver like this time. Do you guys cut all your designs out at the same time like I have been trying or do you cut one design, paint it, then cut the next one separately?

Thanks,

Blake
Old 11-14-2004, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I always cut out one color at a time. I never thought of cutting everything at once. I do know that by the time I get to peeling off the windows, I need to rescore them or the latex pulls up the surrounding paint.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Blake,

I have found that faskolor works alot better with liquid mask. If you put down a thick coat of paint will also cause that problem so try to keep your layers as light as possible.

I use 4-5 coats of mask put on with a cheap coarse bristle brush and I use a hair dryer in between coats to speed up the drying process and let it sit for about 10 minutes until it is clear then apply next coat. When the last coat is dry I cut out the entire design before painting.

Hope this helps,
Lynn
Old 11-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

WHATS LIQUID MASK????????????
Old 11-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Roly,

haha funny guy,

Lynn,

thanks for the info, for some reason when i paint pactra silver out of the can it is super thick, that is what i assumed caused the problem. I am going to try to stick with createx/fastcolor now.

Pumpkin,

A few days before i posted this thread i saw you mention in another thread that you cut the designs out separatly, thats what got me thinking i might be doing it incorrectly hehe. I guess there isnt one right way, just different. Just curious, do you draw a design on the outside of the body or just kinda freehand cut your designs?

Blake
Old 11-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by PaintingRoly
WHATS LIQUID MASK????????????

It's for people that can't use masking tape without taping themselves to the body!!!
Old 11-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Blakesrc,

I always draw on the outside with a Sharpie. If I mess up, I use denatured alcohol to erase and start over. I just learned on my last body that when you use black first, you can't see the lines So I had to quick get out the silver sharpie and redraw the design on the inside over the dry black paint
Old 11-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by lmunno

It's for people that can't use masking tape without taping themselves to the body!!!

Hey Hey now... don't use me as a example *DOH*
Old 11-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Hey Hey now... don't use me as a example *DOH*
Dave: It should have read - for people like me -