Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Where are your favorite places to get paint? >

Where are your favorite places to get paint?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are your favorite places to get paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Where are your favorite places to get paint?

Sorry if this has already has been asked before, but i couldnt find anything.
Been using amazon and getting tamiyas model paint which i thought was for lexan but wasnt. Finding paint at a local hobby shop is very hard for me to do, and is basically out of the question.

Im just looking for a nice link or even a few where i can start getting what i need. Id like to save as much money as possible but its not as important as getting the paint i want.

Im looking for white black and chrome spray paints, as well as a smoke or tint spray for my windows. Im also looking for translucent red yellow and black (smoke) that i can paint on with a brush.

I also need to know the name of the type of paint that is meant for lexan. My friend told me to not get TS but LS, and neither of us know what that stands for.

I wanna make sure i get the correct stuff this time, i wound up using the tamiya "for plastic" spray paint which has almost completely flaked off the inside of my body/shell.

I would also appreciate any links/guides/advice on using masking tape. I was using a lexas IFS concept body and there were so many damn curves/lines/cuts there was no way i could get the simple racing line design i wanted. I would have had to cover the whole body with masking tape to get the black stripe one, then take it all off and use white for the rest of the body. I was afraid i was gonna get paint dripping in thru spots like i did with my masking tape stickers for my headlights.

I also need suggestions on companies to get bodies from. The masking stickers for my hpi lexus body was terrible. Stickers were too pointy and left parts of the body clear that werent parts of the headlights/taillights.

Thanks for your time

Last edited by TheMadHatta; 08-17-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,

Firstly tamiya do lexan paint

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CEkQ8wIwAQ

it looks like this ( you can tell by the phrase "for use on polycarbonate")
they do it in all types of colours.

i'm not sure about getting transparent paint in can form but you could always buy a cheap airbrush and getting eith fascolour, createx or autoair among others. a brush would leave brush marks.

as for mask you can get vinyl or liquid mask (rcs liquid mask http://www.rcsgraphicworx.com/shop.htm , bob dively and fasmask) liquid mask is definately better for curved surfaces.

i believe theres a thread on here that tells you all the steps to paint a body. sticky at the top.

if your having a adhesion problems with the paint, firstly ensuring the body is washed with soapy water helps, and if that doesn't solve the problem some light scuffing with some brasso will do the trick. something not too course tho.

hope that helps
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

also cutting the window masks down before you mount them will solve your window, light masking problems.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks, i pretty much got the same answers on another forum where i asked the same basic question.

Thanks for the links tho that helps. I need to get me some liquid masking since my second body/shell needed extra masking for the windows, where as the first one needed me to cut down the masking stickers. Im still having a really hard time lining em up tho. At least when i put the window stickers on the outside you dont notice where the masking wasnt perfect.

Btw what do rc car enthusiasts use more as a term for the body or shell. Do ppl more commonly say body, or shell? I would say shell cuz ive seen the word body thrown around in place of chassis.

As for the tamiya paint, i was getting TS paints which i found out were for plastics, but not for polycarbonates which is labeled PS.

Do you know of any good places to find polycarbonate paint that i can paint on with a paint brush? All i can seem to find are army colors for stuff like model tanks, planes, and what not. I havent come across any that say PS or for polycarbonates.

-Thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Do a google search for Parma FasKolor. It is their line of lexan paint and comes in 2oz containers that have a cap you can unscrew and use a brush with. These are the same containers that those of us that use an airbrush would buy. I just went to A main hobbies website and typed "faskolor" into the search bar.

Here is the link
http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...words=faskolor

You can also try Jon Mills line of paint. He will have everything you need/want and more. And it is very high quality lexan paint.

Here is the link to contact him and place an order.

http://www.rcsgraphicworx.com/
Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the links, ill go check it out. I wish lexan paint was cheaper tho, i would gladly buy in bulk if possible to safe, i run through the stuff more than i should idk if im just being to careful with my coats or what but i believe a can of the tamiya stuff is supposed to last me a body and a half, and i go thru 2 cans on one body... i need to get some more money and some more practice painting :P