Wiki Posts
Search

Help with colors poppin'

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)
Default Help with colors poppin'

So I'm still learning how to use this airbrush and how to apply paint correctly. Need a little help here trying to get some colors to pop out when outlining flames and other things. I am using Faskolor Red and Fluorescent Orange for this particular flame and what I'm wanting to know is how you guys get the reds to pop when using them to edge the flame then put orange in for the main color. I posted pic so you can see. This one is still in the works, but wanted to know for my next project. The red and orange seem to blend in too much and can't hardly see the red. I put about 6 layers of red, then sprayed the orange, backed with white after. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

It's really just a learning thing to find the colors (and types) that work best for you. Some colors will tend to wash out the color they go over, making them too similar. If you experiment with various reds and ornages, you will find a combo that does what you need.

In general, you have to watch it if your darker edge color is a transparent or semi-opaque, as these will be affected more by the next colors.

One technique I like to use for your example (orange with deeper red-orange color at edge) is to shoot the whole area with transparent orange, and then go back and edge with transparent red until the faded edge looks like I want, then back it with silver or white. This won't work if you are using solid colors, like FasRed or FasOrange.