Wiki Posts
Search

Fish Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default Fish Eyes

Ok painting a body today for practice. Have had many things not go my way but last color (Createx pearl blue) fish eyed on me almost instanly. tried to cover it with another coat and even worse. havent had any trouble all day from any paint. What caused this? I used blue painters tape and frisket paper in this area.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How many coats is that? If its just a couple, you are putting down to much paint at a time. Your first coat should be super light... Build the color up with multiple layers.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also was the shell properly cleaned? Same for the airbrush? No chance of say lacquer thinner getting in that gun before the createx?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hummer Man
How many coats is that? If its just a couple, you are putting down to much paint at a time. Your first coat should be super light... Build the color up with multiple layers.
yeah just a couple coats. That is probably why to happened then. Ill have to try to go lighter next time

Originally Posted by Hummer Man
Also was the shell properly cleaned? Same for the airbrush? No chance of say lacquer thinner getting in that gun before the createx?
I scrubbed the piss out of it in the sink with dish soap and water. Rinsed till I couldnt see any more bubbles then wiped dry with clean paper towel. I stored it in bag while I cut the frisket paper. I masked it with latex (non powder) gloves on (4 1/2 hours) then stored it in the bag over night. Painted it with new pair of gloves on. Only place it happened was that color and where the frisket paper was except in the bumper where i had blue painters tape.

I dont have ANY lacquer thinner. Just faskleaner and a formula i found online for water based air brush paints.

1 cup alcohol
4 cups water
1 cup window cleaner
5 drops glycerin

i used it in other pains with no issues.

I take it apart every day i use my air brush and clean it thoroughly and lube the needle and store it in a dedicated plastic box in its packing foam and a clean rag over it.

Between colors I run windex through it after wiping cup out till it shoots clear. i put a few drops of faskleaner in it while it sits (paint drying or whatever) then spray it out before adding color...then spray some color to make sure its spraying good.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

+1

too much, too close
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Gotcha. I appreciate the help guys. Ill try to go lighter coats next time. When i did my yellow I did go alot lighter. Think cause I was rounding the end of the paint job i got overzealous. Was kinda wondering if it was the frisket paper that caused it but in the bumper area I used blue tape so figure it wasnt the frisket paper.

Hard to notice it now with the backers on. But I can find it cause I made the mistake lol. On a track it wont be seen at least.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

Yup, too thick. Your first coat should be just a light mist. It will seal the edges of the unmasked area and give the next coat something to stick to. Some times, depending on the color, you may have to look hard to see if it has any color on it. You should be able to clearly see though it. Some dark colors will of course be harder to judge, but you will get the feel for it over time.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:46 AM
Suspended

nice job