Wiki Posts
Search

liquid mask?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default liquid mask?

i have always just used various widths of tape but i am wondering how liquid mask is used and what is it?
Old 09-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Liquid mask virgin

Ive been airbrushing shells for about 6 months and have just painted my first shell using Bob Divesly liquid mask, which came from Tower hobbies and its brilliant but requires carefull cutting
and practice
I would advise practicing on something like coke bottles with a new scalpel blade
Attached Thumbnails liquid mask?-new-shell-side.jpg  
Old 09-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool

and one from the front
but the cabon effect on the bonnet is not very clear
Attached Thumbnails liquid mask?-carbon-front-small.jpg  
Old 09-23-2004, 05:51 AM
Pig
Tech Apprentice

dado, like you I've pretty much always used tape. However, on the last body I painted, I broke down and got some Bob Dively's Liquid Mask. That stuff is absolutely awesome. Thin it with water, airbrush it on, let dry. Repeat this to get a good 5 coats on. When it dries, it dries clear, well almost clear.

Draw your design on the outside of the car using a sharpie. Next, trace your design using a new scalpel blade on the inside. Cut all the lines before painting.

After that, just peal up what you intend to paint, paint, and continue on from there. It's the coolest stuff I've seen in a long while. However, make sure all your lines are cut. If you leave a small gap at a corner, when you pull of the mask, you stand a chance of peeling more than you wanted to. You can fix this by adding a little LM where it peeled up using a tooth pick or q-tip.

You'll discover after using it that you can achieve some awesome designs and graphics with it. But, I would definitely second Johnny's recommendation to practice with it first. Get used to cutting it and painting it.

Also, if you haven't read through it lately, read through Haunted Mysts tutorial guide on painting. It'll help you out tremendously.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Tech Initiate

where do i get Haunted Mysts tutorial guide on painting ?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Here
Old 09-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Dado11g and others new to liquid mask,

I also have just started using liquid mask and am very very pleased. A couple things that i recomend are:

1.Make sure you use a new x acto blade to cut it with or you will run into the same problem as Pig mentioned, the cut wont be all the way though the mask and when you peel off a mask section it will peel other areas with it.

2.Very Very important, make sure you get a minumum of 3 heavy coats on and let the stuff dry inbetween coats. I rushed a job the other day and the liquid mask was on to thin. It was a HUGE pain in the arse to peel off, it wanted to come off in little bits rather than a whole section peeling at once.

I have been racing/painting for almost 15 years and never used this stuff until a few weeks ago, all i keep thinking is how much time i could have saved in the past if i would have used liquid mask instead of tape hehe.

Have fun,

Blake