Like Tree5Likes

Painter's Chat

Old 09-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Be careful!!
Old 09-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Aren't there any painters in teh middle of us? Seems like only the COAST painters are here....any MId West/East painters around?
Old 09-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by lmunno
Mike Boylan sent me an e-mail with the link to a web cam he has set up in his backyard to watch how windy it gets during the storm. Thought I would share it with you guys.

http://www.snowbirdnationals.com/hurricane.htm

We've had a few of the outer bands hit us this afternoon and it has been really windy all day. Not looking forward to tomorrow. Don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a while.
these just a black screen with some writing..does that mean the power has gone out at that guys house

stay safe peeps, and stay away from the hurricane..but don't forget your car stuff (and airbrushes painters
Old 09-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally posted by charlie_b
Aren't there any painters in teh middle of us? Seems like only the COAST painters are here....any MId West/East painters around?
soon maybe charlie
Old 09-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Smile

Howdy from Texas!

Great thread Charlie.........I have a question for you, when are you coming to Texas?? You already made a showing in Florida......oops, that was Hurricane Charlie.

Stay safe Floridans.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mike...i am definitley going to Texas someday....maybe when you guys have a winter race..i pretty much melted in Houston back in '97 nats!!!!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Hello. I am in the midwest. I recently completed a body from my first time using an airbrush. Turned out ok I think. Colors I used were:
SpazStix blue/purple/red (main color)
SpazStix multi backer
Fascolor fascent blue (checkers)
Fascolor white
Fascolor flour yellow
Createx flour pink, flour green, flour orange.

Pic doesn't show the colors very well.
Attached Thumbnails Painter's Chat-mvc-003x.jpg  
Old 09-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

So here's my problem:

I knew this would happen before I ever started painting, but couldn't think of how I really wanted to approach it.... after painting the spazstix, I pulled out the tearout masks and knew that I wanted it lined with a nice, bright flour. color (pink) but I also knew that I was going to have trouble backing the pink as it was a fade, so that when I shot the blue for the checkers, there would be spots where the pink didn't get backed. What is the proper way I should have done it to get a successful attempt at this effect? Paint the white checkers first so more of the pink got backed? Go ahead and attempt to back it and keep overspray to a min.? You would have seen the white overspray over the darker checkers that way I think, so it still wouldn't have looked right. Like I said this is my first time using an airbrush and I have read HauntedMyst's article on here, so any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

I'll have a Crowd Pleaser GT body to show in a week or two.
Attached Thumbnails Painter's Chat-mvc-007x.jpg  
Old 09-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

NY here

east coast
Old 09-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Hi

Greetings from the racing capitol of the world.

Certainly not the R/C capitol, but when you can see 4 of the 5 biggest racing series in the world in 5 months you take what you can get.

Anyway, I'm Brian, racing for 14 years and painting since the beginning. I'm an art teacher by trade and do murals and logos for schools in the summer. I've attached a mediocre photo of my latest mural. It's 13' by 46'

Love seeing everyone's work. You people in Florida stay safe. In Indy, we only worry about tornadoes...
Attached Thumbnails Painter's Chat-rock-wall-mural-3.jpg  

Last edited by BadSign; 09-05-2004 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Boatdork
So here's my problem:

I knew this would happen before I ever started painting, but couldn't think of how I really wanted to approach it.... after painting the spazstix, I pulled out the tearout masks and knew that I wanted it lined with a nice, bright flour. color (pink) but I also knew that I was going to have trouble backing the pink as it was a fade, so that when I shot the blue for the checkers, there would be spots where the pink didn't get backed. What is the proper way I should have done it to get a successful attempt at this effect? Paint the white checkers first so more of the pink got backed? Go ahead and attempt to back it and keep overspray to a min.? You would have seen the white overspray over the darker checkers that way I think, so it still wouldn't have looked right. Like I said this is my first time using an airbrush and I have read HauntedMyst's article on here, so any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

I'll have a Crowd Pleaser GT body to show in a week or two.
Hey Boatdork--

I actually liked the effect in the pink being translucent personally, but that i would have done if i wanted to get the effect you wanted was back the pink with white the same way i painted the pink. Just be VERY careful not to have the overspray..i would even recommend spraying in a lower PSI and spray a finer line in order to not have the white belled through. After doing the white backing, i would mask the checkers and paint as usual. Good WOrk non the less!

Welcome SpeedDesignz!!!
Badsign-Love the Mural!!! My ultimate goal in life is to eventually teach art and coach highschool football. Now, i just have to get some animation gigs under my belt and go back and get my masters...someday!!!!
Old 09-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default airbrush set??

i am a painting rookie looking for my first airbush set, can i get some suggestions please, i would rather buy a set with all that i need or at least be able to upgrade easily. i see that double action is a must but what else should i get.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Charlie-

If your thinking of teaching, skip the master's until after you've got a license. The difference between a BFA and a BAE are so small you could have both with an extra year in school

Most states require a higher pay scale for those with a master's (of any kind), so guess how often they get hired in new?

I always thought I wanted to do High School drawing and painting, but after 7 years of being the "Jack of all Trades" in middle school, I can't imagine changing- I love it to much!
Old 09-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm...another thing to consider...Ill look into that Badsign...thanx man!

Gentleman81....Most airbrush system come as a package now a days...id recommend getting an Iwata. Goto www.coastairbrush.com You will get pretty much all info you will need there.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks alot i dont have alot of money right now so i want to get a good one the first time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.