Like Tree5Likes

Painter's Chat

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpidarX
Does anyone have a good idea for material to practice on? Ive been using transparency sheets for an overhead projector. They work good to test color, but doesnt work well for using liquid mask and trying to practice designs.
Try an empty 2 liter soda bottle. Thoroughly rinse the bottle out, then cut in in half from top to bottom, and thoroughly clean each half off. You will have two "shells" you can practice masking and painting on the inside just like a regular body.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
Try an empty 2 liter soda bottle. Thoroughly rinse the bottle out, then cut in in half from top to bottom, and thoroughly clean each half off. You will have two "shells" you can practice masking and painting on the inside just like a regular body.
Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by foampervert
Deaer painters,

I am in need of some help. I am trying to get this colour and am unsure what brand carries it.

If anyone here can help, I'll be so grateful!

Thank you.

It looks like a flouro yellow and white (which I can use Tamiya PS paints) but am unsure of the turquoise/blue/green colour on Takaaki Shimo's bodyshells.

please help!

-Alexander
I just picked up this color and painted a body with it and it looks pretty similar to what your looking for... I also mixed it with white to make it a little lighter. The color name is opaque aqua I believe code 5206

Painter's Chat-image.jpg
Old 03-01-2016, 01:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey guys. Its been a long time since I've been on here. Are the RCS paints still available? I see that Dave discontinued them. Is Jon still making the paints?

Thanks all.
Mike---
Old 04-23-2016, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys, Purchased a body that was painted but seems like it never had a white backer put on it. Not sure what type of paint was used what would be the SAFEST white backer to use so as to not "lift" any of the paint that is on there now ?
Also any ideas on protecting the outside from paint over spray when I do the backer as the protective coating is off already and the body is cut out.
THANKS
Old 04-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is Rust-Oleum crystal clear enamel safe to use ??
Old 09-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dont apply heavy coats or it will wrinkle...
Old 09-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Stew
Okay, I've been painting a couple of years now and I still get majorly frustrated with spraying water based white. It seems faskolor white or Createx opaque white tip dry and clog my guns nearly immediately after I start spraying. I've tried thinning a little, thinning a lot, not thinning at all. nothing seems to work for me. And I really don't have this problem with any other color. Am I the only one with this problem?

For anyone who's used the Auto-Air Autoborne sealers...Does Autoborne sealer white spray any better? Is it worth the added cost?
I use the createx retarder. I just put it in the whole bottle of white at around 10% and lower the air pressure a little.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

What are guys using on the outside of bodies to paint them matt? I want to do a matt black body but a little unsure what to coat it with.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm in need of help, I'm trying the "splatter" effect and i'm a little confused on how to back the splatter, so i'm splatting forest green, but also want to paint the rest of the section that color, but if i spray the same color won't it just blend in with the same color and not do anything? I'm thinking i'll need a slightly different color green or orange to beable to see anything, the green is what i'm working on now and then orange.
Attached Thumbnails Painter's Chat-tmp_13116-20161224_071733-resized-14001658613494.jpg   Painter's Chat-tmp_13116-20161224_071741-resized-1400-107435757.jpg  
Bonadona likes this.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TrespasseR_MN
I'm in need of help, I'm trying the "splatter" effect and i'm a little confused on how to back the splatter, so i'm splatting forest green, but also want to paint the rest of the section that color, but if i spray the same color won't it just blend in with the same color and not do anything? I'm thinking i'll need a slightly different color green or orange to beable to see anything, the green is what i'm working on now and then orange.
For the green splatter try using blue. For orange use red
Old 12-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Stew
Okay, I've been painting a couple of years now and I still get majorly frustrated with spraying water based white. It seems faskolor white or Createx opaque white tip dry and clog my guns nearly immediately after I start spraying. I've tried thinning a little, thinning a lot, not thinning at all. nothing seems to work for me. And I really don't have this problem with any other color. Am I the only one with this problem?

For anyone who's used the Auto-Air Autoborne sealers...Does Autoborne sealer white spray any better? Is it worth the added cost?
The auto air stuff works much better in my opinion, but it may also be your airbrush. After I switched to iwata I don't get nearly as much tip drying even using fascolor white and I only thin it about 20% with Windex.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey i was looking for some cheaper liquid mask. I was wondering if anyone has used the 3m liquid mask, or like90 liquid mask? It is made for automotive over spray but it looks like rhe same stuff that bittydesign uses. Thanks in advance for any info
Old 01-25-2017, 09:22 AM
Tech Initiate

I use Bob Dively and it's not too bad on price. They sell big bottles of it also if you paint lots of bodies.

Originally Posted by bigco66
Hey i was looking for some cheaper liquid mask. I was wondering if anyone has used the 3m liquid mask, or like90 liquid mask? It is made for automotive over spray but it looks like rhe same stuff that bittydesign uses. Thanks in advance for any info
Old 02-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Everyone!
Going to teaching a classes this March at Coast Airbrush. Besides the basics, would there be anything you wanna see taught? Thinking 4 hour Beginner, 8 hour intermediate/advanced.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.