Wiki Posts
Search

Tire tread marks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Tire tread marks?

Alrighty guys here is my situation. I paint bodies for myself and friends.

Well one of my bud's always seems to cut under ppl so he always gets his buggy run over buy others. So he had a plane white practice body on when we were practicing and i of course ran him over. Later we noticed there was tread marks left on it.

So now i am getting ready to paint his new shell and we thought i would be funny to have the PL bowtie tire tread across the hood. Now i am not sure how i am going to attack this. I was thinking take some Brown or Black lexan paint and pour it on a sheet of paper. then take a PL bowtie tire roll it in the paint then roll it across the inside of the shell were i want the tracks.

Now do you experts think this will work? Any other ideas?

thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default tire treads

Originally Posted by rider313
Alrighty guys here is my situation. I paint bodies for myself and friends.

Well one of my bud's always seems to cut under ppl so he always gets his buggy run over buy others. So he had a plane white practice body on when we were practicing and i of course ran him over. Later we noticed there was tread marks left on it.

So now i am getting ready to paint his new shell and we thought i would be funny to have the PL bowtie tire tread across the hood. Now i am not sure how i am going to attack this. I was thinking take some Brown or Black lexan paint and pour it on a sheet of paper. then take a PL bowtie tire roll it in the paint then roll it across the inside of the shell were i want the tracks.

Now do you experts think this will work? Any other ideas?

thanks in advance.
Take an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper and lay it flat on a table. Take the tire you want to copy and spray paint the treads of the tire. While the tread is still wet, roll the tire over the clean sheet of paper, which will give you the tire pattern. Once the tire pattern has dried, then make as many copies of this as you like from a copy machine. You can also increase or decrease the size as needed.You can now use either liquid mask on the inside of the body, or blue masking tape to transfer the tire pattern to the inside. Just cut the pattern to the size needed, tape it to the ouside,<pattern facing the body> and then cut the liquid mask or tape to the match the tire tread that is now taped to the body. There are many ways to do this, but for most people that do not have access to a cutter or plotter, this will do the trick.
If you dont want to spray paint the tire treads, basically anything will work as long as it transfers to the white paper<colored water,black dirty water, really does not matter, as you will be making copies of the transfer anyway>, just as long as you get the treads to transfer to the white paper.

Last edited by brc358; 02-10-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

or you could roll the tire in there..

if you are dealing with alot of angles you could cut the tire up and use the tread by itself. practice on glass to get the amount of paint right. if you cut the tire, dont fret you can use it over and again.

on a plate smear the paint on there, roll the tire in it then onto the glass to test it. once you find the right amount then put it on the body. if you goof then it will wash off easily while wet.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Good deal. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Rookie

that sounds pretty cool actually