Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stencils, Effects, Trade Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Stencils, Effects, Trade Secrets

Hi Everyone. I am fairly new to this painting thing!
I have done a few projects, and starting to master some of the fundamentals.

I am curious to know some of your trade secrets.

ie: How to do a repetitive design?

Making your design even on both sides?

What do you use for effects? ie: Lights, Grills, Lines etc.
Personally I have been using the standard drawer liner, Drywall Tape, Plastic squares from needle point.

I figured if everyone could post a tip, it would be helpful for everyone.

I am learning you can't be good overnight, but it takes time........

Thanks in advance
Grant
Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I put one up:

Making the design the same on both sides.

I use clear transfer tape on the outside to trace side#1 and then use it on the inside of side #2 to trace the design.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave
I put one up:

Making the design the same on both sides.

I use clear transfer tape on the outside to trace side#1 and then use it on the inside of side #2 to trace the design.
I usually draw better on paper than on a body...So I Draw it, scan it, and print the drawing once regular and the other flipped horizontal. From there I draw it on the body with the paper underneath the shell.

Tip: When using mirror chrome like Spaz Stix or AlcladII...Use thin layers of paint from there on out for the rest of the colors. That stuff LOVES to chip and peel when you pull masking off. In other words: Don't let the layers of paint after painting chrome build up higher than the actual masking for the chrome.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

go to www.cfxpaintworks.com Everything you ever want to know about painting. If you don't like to read... youtube
Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I could tell you some trade secrets, but you will have to watch for men that travel in black cars and wear sunglasses at all times, even at night.

I draw my designs freehand on the body, using reference points on the body to keep it close from side to side. In my opinion it should not be perfect side to side, since most bodies are not exact from one side to the other. Plus it looks silkscreened to me when it is "exact"...My preference.

If you look closely at most bodies, say with a caliper, you will see they have a generous "Tolerance" from side to side. (I know from manufacturing the tooling for years and investigating all the brands, some are much "closer" then others).

My tip:
Don't be afraid to use subtle color changes to creat depth for higher end paint designs. Sometimes for a blue design i'll use 4 shades of blue which helps make the light transistions look more realistic, even though all the different blues don't show in the end, the depth does.

...Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Shades

[Jim,

When you say you use different shades of one color do give it depth I assume you start with the lightest shade then go darker on each one???

Ed

QUOTE=W.E.D.Jim;8560654]I could tell you some trade secrets, but you will have to watch for men that travel in black cars and wear sunglasses at all times, even at night.

I draw my designs freehand on the body, using reference points on the body to keep it close from side to side. In my opinion it should not be perfect side to side, since most bodies are not exact from one side to the other. Plus it looks silkscreened to me when it is "exact"...My preference.

If you look closely at most bodies, say with a caliper, you will see they have a generous "Tolerance" from side to side. (I know from manufacturing the tooling for years and investigating all the brands, some are much "closer" then others).

My tip:
Don't be afraid to use subtle color changes to creat depth for higher end paint designs. Sometimes for a blue design i'll use 4 shades of blue which helps make the light transistions look more realistic, even though all the different blues don't show in the end, the depth does.

...Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com[/QUOTE]
Old 01-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Ed, it depends on what your are painting. For anything you want to look deeper on the outside edges, paint the darker colors first. For anything you want to look deeper in the middle, lighter colors first. You want to replicate the effect of light making the color brighter at the highest point to your eye.

Hope that makes sense? I sent a pm too.

Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Old 02-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all of your input guys, I am still new to this painting thing!

Is there a chart that exists, or could someone create, which would show the different effects of backing colours!

For example, yesterday I was using pearl plum, and I backed it with some pearl silver and white, wasn't real happy how it looked. I was going for a deeper look?

If someone knows a lot about this, it would be very helpful....

This forum rocks, you guys are extremely helpful!!!

Thanks Again
Grant
Old 02-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When using a stencil dont just spray the stencil and call it done!
Try to add in drop shadows and highlights so your work doesnt look like it was produced from a stencil!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Backing

One of the best advice I got I think it was from JONMILLS is go to Office Depot or Staples and get you some overhead projector paper. That and 2 liter bottle are good to practice on. So I just practice on that if I want to try out a new color with a new backing. Or even if I want to try a new design whatever. Works real good.

Ed