R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography

Old 08-09-2004, 05:54 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Need opinions on a airbrush for very basic jobs!!

Hi guys,

Im thinking of getting an airbrush, im only going to to do very basic paintjobs so im not after a expensive brush.

What low end brushes would you gys recomend, im looking to spend around $40-$60 on the brush but the cheaper the better LOL

Also can any air compressor run a airbrush or do i need a special one? what should i look for in a compressor and what do they cost?

Thanks in advance
Dave
MrRolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to serpentsixty9 Send a message via Yahoo to serpentsixty9

check into some badgers, they're pretty decent for the price, and i wouldn't get a compressor if i were you, i'd just get a compressed can of air, and use it.
serpentsixty9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Need opinions on a airbrush for very basic jobs!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MrRolla
Hi guys,

Im thinking of getting an airbrush, im only going to to do very basic paintjobs so im not after a expensive brush.

What low end brushes would you gys recomend, im looking to spend around $40-$60 on the brush but the cheaper the better LOL

Also can any air compressor run a airbrush or do i need a special one? what should i look for in a compressor and what do they cost?

Thanks in advance
Dave
Check out this one at harbor freight. Comes with most everything you need and it's a good brush to grow in to.
$58 isn't bad at all for something that includes airbrush, color cup, 2 color bottle assemblies, glass bottle, cap and gasket, 2 tips, 2 aircaps, 2 needles, hanger, wrench, and airhose.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32371
Espiritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:09 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The VL is what I would have recommended. Something you can grow with and use even if you do advanced work.

As for compressor, any one will do if you have a regulator and moisture trap provided you can get 30 psi (preferably more). I personally never liked the cans and they are expensive.
Qranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:58 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to R/C Lidz

for $59 you can get an Iwata revolution, which is 5 times better than any Badger, paasche or Aztek brush. Several top caliber painters on this and other forums use it.
R/C Lidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:55 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

RClidz,

Is that just a brush or as a kit?

Im more interested in a airbrush kit

Keep them replies comming guys
MrRolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
Tech Adept

I dont' own an Iwata (yet) and they are fantastic brushes. You do have to choose carefully because there are a number of models with the "revolution" name. If you do buy a revolution I would buy the dual action for better flow control (I think you can get one for about $59.99, actually not much more than the single action model).

Unfortunately as far as specs go, the revolution has a .5mm tip and according to Iwata can manage only a 1/16 inch line. The upside is it will do the 1/16 inch line to 1 1/2 inch pattern all with one tip/needle. I think the brush comes with hose and cup.

The Paasche VL on the other hand is rated down to 1/64 inch line with the #1 tip and needle (you get three sizes in the kit plus an assortment of bottles and color cups and hose, wrench etc.). The VL has been around a long long time and is a proven brush in capable hands.

In the end the decision will be yours to make and either brush will suit your needs for the time being. It is not the brush that makes the artist great (either one of these are equal to the task).
Old 08-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Default Hey Rolla

If you want your bodie painted let me know i will do it foy you or you can come to my place and you can do it yourself.
Yokomo Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to R/C Lidz

what exactly do you mean by kit? If you mean brush, hose, and some sort of motive force, the only "kits" I have seen are along the lines of the Badger 250. In all actuality, a very nice detailed scheme can be done with these brushes. Airbrushing isn't what makes it special, it's the masking. There aren't very many "pros" out there that use the full capabilities of their equipment....not to mention that paint 1/64" lines
R/C Lidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:06 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
There aren't very many "pros" out there that use the full capabilities of their equipment....not to mention that paint 1/64" lines
LOL! Fair enough. I suppose painting hairlines isn't quite necessary in r/c bodies but some specs I thought were in order if we were going to compare brushes (suggesting either brush better than the other).

In my opinion either one will do.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:12 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Hey ... come to think of it. I cetainly would like to hear why exactly the Iwata is better than the others (Paasche for example). I know there are some guys here that have used both and love the Iwata and use it almost exclusively.

I haven't had the opportunity to use one but would like to know what I can expect before I buy one. Any comments on the model differences would be appreciated. Seems the HP-C is the most popular? What is the major difference between the HP-C and say the double action revolution?
Old 08-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Qranc:

Iwatas have a long lasting reputation for excelling at precision work when required. This is the trademark of their Micron line, but I am sure that the quality engineering is very much present in the Revolution, as well as their other lines. Paasches are great for general painting... the VL in particular is well known as the workhorse of airbrushes, particularly since the standard VL kit comes with 3 sets of needles/tips, which gives the user the ability to perform a wide variety of projects with it. I haven't had the need to shop for a new brush, but when I last checked, I don't think that there were any other players in the market that offered that at the same price.

As great a brush as they are, and as big a fan as I am of Paasche brushes, even I will admit that there are not many brushes that can do VERY fine details as well as the Iwatas. The data on the Revolution is probably based on the needle that comes with the brush, but I'm sure that there's a needle set avaialble that will give just as much precision. Like I said, I love my Paasche, but I think most artists will agree that the Iwatas are at their best when it comes to doing very detailed work.

MrRolla,

If you are going to just be doing general body painting, then the Paasche VL set will probably be your best overall value, since it comes with the 1-3-5 needles/tips; most airbrushes on the market only give you one. Either way, I would still encourage you to visit an arts & crafts store that might have them, because one of the most important factors is how it fits in your hand. Paasche VLs are well known for their "fat" bodies, which, for me anyways, fits my hand just right, compared to some of the slimmer brushes on the market. Good Luck!
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:37 AM   #13
Tech Adept

I use a Badger Credendo and am happy with it. It's probably not the best airbrush, but it does the job.

As for air compressors, Home Depot has a good Husky air compressor with a small storage tank and runs for about $100. It's capable of putting out 100psi I beleive. It's light weight and portable so you can even take it to the track with you to blow off your cars. It's also not very loud and requires very little maintainence. I would definitely stay away from canned air. That's the worse stuff to use. You would be better off spending your money on a decent air compressor.
dpalXRC is offline   Reply With Quote