Wiki Posts
Search

For Those with Websites

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default For Those with Websites

Who do you use and how do you like the? I am in the market to set up an actual website. Not a free one, the real deal. I am new to this and am looking for your opinions on how you like the host you use. Any tips or pointer would be appreciated. One thing I would like to have if possible is in the gallery. I would like to have a photo of something, and when you click into it, it opens up a folder of more photos of that item.

Thanks for any info provided.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

I'm a big fan of Hostmonster.com They have a really nice cpanel that is pretty easy to learn. There is also a feature called "simple scripts" that allows you to install add ons like Wordpress, OSCommerce, Coppermine Gallery, Joomla, etc... Granted, most hosts these days will have similar functions, but I have only seen a few that worked as well as hostmonster. Also, in two years of hosting, we have only had down time once and that was due to a power outage in the city where the servers are stored.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC
I'm a big fan of Hostmonster.com They have a really nice cpanel that is pretty easy to learn. There is also a feature called "simple scripts" that allows you to install add ons like Wordpress, OSCommerce, Coppermine Gallery, Joomla, etc... Granted, most hosts these days will have similar functions, but I have only seen a few that worked as well as hostmonster. Also, in two years of hosting, we have only had down time once and that was due to a power outage in the city where the servers are stored.
cpanel is commonly used with linux based hosting to provide easy installation of different apps. hostmonster is good. godaddy has a cpanel-esque feature that lets u install LAMP applications with very minimal back end coding.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cheapest host I have found with all the features of the most costly sites.

www.3ix.com

I have been with them now on the Excite plan for about a year and a half.
Good servers and have not had but a couple of outages and those were handled with the online support group.

$20 for 20 years of services is hard to beat!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all the info. I went with host monster, and so far I like it.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have used hostican.com for a very long time. I used powweb forever then one day I called for customer service and got somebody from another country. Not that having outsourced cs is bad but considering 90% of the customer base is American, they should have cs people who can speak understandable English. So after dealing with that for a few months I switched to hostican and never looked back. I highly recommend them. Currently I have about 15 sites I have built for customers hosted with them, including www.outfrontframes.com and everybody couldn't be happier.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I use BigCommerce for my retail website www.RcDirectOnline.com and it's amazing. Prices as low as $25 per month and at just $40 per month you get 500 SKUs with unlimited pics each and tons of data storage. Upload pics from your comp or the web, real time, live shipping quotes from every carrier, more. I buy my domains through GoDaddy and let BigCommerce host. I've been very impressed. I had a graphic designer come up with the top logos but I did everything else and didn't need a single word of HTML code. It's amazing and they have a referral program to make you money if people sign up for it using you as a reference.

I really suggest checking it out.