R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography

Old 05-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Removing Paint From Lexan Bodies

Is it possible to completely remove a paint job from a Lexan body without damaging it and start all over??? I have an old Tamiya Falcon that I just got back up and running (Over 17 years old) and I would like to remove the old (and not very creative) paint job and repaint it if possible. I read HauntedMysts painting article, but didnt see anything about paint removal. Can anyone help me out?
TexasPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

Default remove paint

i heard that brake fluid does it .never tried but heard it works,,,,,,,,,,,,its a lot easier to just buy a new bod
tecspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
Tech Adept

techspeed, I appreciate the info. FYI, on another thread someone said that brake fluid would remove the paint, but make the body brittle as well. I cant just buy a new body because Tamiya doesnt make them any more. As I mentioned the buggy is 17 years old. Any other suggestions?

I guess maybe I need to ask if I can have a custom body made and who I would contact to have it done? Anyone with any knowledge or better yet contacts on that?
Old 05-14-2004, 06:05 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Default paint

it depends on how much you want to spend .........find a company that does injection molding send them the old body and they can make a copy...........or contact richard trujillo at rc car he is into vintage stuff........ebay
Old 05-14-2004, 06:16 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I just posted this a minute ago on another thread. The product you need is called Easy Lift Off, or ELO. The only place I have ever seen it is my local hobby shop. It can remove paint from a Lexan body, easily, but WILL NOT damage the body. When all the paint is removed it leaves the body a little cloudy, but when it is painted over it dose not effect the look. I will try to post pics in a few days of a body that has been srtipped, and repainted. The stuff is great. Do some reasearch, and try to find this stuff.
Twiztid Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Techspeed, thanks for the insight. It is appreciated. Do you have some solid contact info on this Trujillo cat? Email, web Address or Phone number perhaps? I would prefer to buy new bodies so I dont erase a part of my buggies history by stripping the old one and repainting it. I would be willing to buy at least 2 bodies maybe three if the price was right. 1 to run and 1 or 2 to for show.

Twiztid, Thanks my man! Im gonna google this stuff as soon as I finish this reply. Dont forget to post pics of those bodies you stripped and repainted. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:45 AM   #7
Tech Addict

iv stripped one of my bodys before, very messy. I used a thiners called fast-flash, its about twice as strong as normall thinners and to my knowledge it hasnt hurt the body. The shell did come otu cloudy but with the paint on it is un-noticable
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:28 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default body

i'll dig up trujillos info and post for ya bu monday
Old 05-18-2004, 05:57 AM   #9
Tech Adept

John_S Thanks for the additional info. I will do some research on the fast flash thinner. FYI, The ELO product is made specifically for removing spray paint from many different surfaces including plastic. Seems like its a spray and wipe type deal that might not be as messy as the fast flash.

Techspeed, I would appreciate that info, as my first choice would be to start with a totally new body and save my old one for the memories.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:28 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TexasPete
\FYI, The ELO product is made specifically for removing spray paint from many different surfaces including plastic. Seems like its a spray and wipe type deal that might not be as messy as the fast flash.\
That may be true, but I still recomend using gloves, and wearing old clothes.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:49 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Twiztid just to verify, is this the stuff you were talking about www.sanitarymaintenance.com/motsen.htm ?????

Im hoping that techspeed will hook me up this trujillo cat and I will be able to get some new bodies made, but if not, I will be sure to throw on my lawn clothes and gloves before I try to strip the paint off.

You still gonna post the pics of those bodies, you stripped and repainted?

As it is with everyone who has tried to help me out, I appreciate your help my man.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:04 PM   #12
Tech Master

That is NOT what I used!!! I don't know what that stuff is.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:07 PM   #13
Tech Master

Found it, here's the stuff you need!!!
http://www.ehobbies.com/models-acryl...-solvents.html

I'll try to get the pics up tomorrow
Old 05-19-2004, 09:37 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Thanks Twiztid. I'm glad I asked to make sure.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lexan bodies are thermo formed from sheet lexan. What you want is to find someone that has a thermo former and is able to knock off a plug from your existing body (not hard to do at all). Depending on the amount of detail the plug will need some finishing TLC to pull a good body with detail.

Again ... it's not hard to do it's finding someone that has the tech and equipment and is willing to do it for such a small volume is the trick.

The lexan is heated to a very pliable consistency, then the edges sealed over a lip and suction pulls it to the form. I've not actually formed lexan, only acrylics but the principles are the same.

Lexan is polycarbonate.
Plexiglas, Lucite, Acrylite, Perspex and acrylic are polyacrylate.

Polycarbonate is harder than polyacrylate
Lexan is much more shatter resistant than Acrylic. Acrylic is more scratch resistant than Lexan.

You could try a local trade school (engineering, industrial etc.) and a class or student may want to take it on as a project. Make a plug/mould and for the thing for you at a small cost compared to what it would cost having a shop do it.
Qranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links