Wiki Posts
Search

How to paint ghost flames

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default How do I paint ghost flames

I did a search and it was an old post and it still did not make sense. I want to paint a body orange and have a ghost flame. What color do I use for the flame. Thanks

Last edited by shoe; 04-02-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: wording
Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Umm....so are you asking for someone to explain it better? Your post makes no sense....
Old 04-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

To make a ghosted flame you need to use a color very similar to your base or even the same color with a different backing color (e.g. if you used silver instead of white the ghosted flame would be the same color, but would have a metallic finish as apposed to the bright base color). The best ghost flames are versions that you can't se until you adjust the lighting... then they "pop". You can use light coats of various faschange paints to get the desired effect also.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Look in the Ask Roly thread...he uses ghost flames often.

Here's one I did in orange...not really ghost flames..more of tone-on-tone.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

If I were doing it, I would take the orange you plan on using for the body and add a few drops of silver to it when painting the flames. If you dont want to go the metallic route add red to make them dark ghost flames or yellow to make light ghost flames.

If you are using rattle cans you could tape out the flames and spray them with a very fast very light mist of silver. Untape the flames and paint the orange you wanted for your body.

Buy some sheet lexan to test your methods on!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default ghost flames

I have a Kyosho USA-1 body and I want to paint it all white just the real truck is but I want to do some kind of ghost flame . How would it look to do the flames in pearl white and the rest of the truck in just white ? Or would something else look better on that white ? I would like it so it is just faintly visable until you change the angle you look at it . This body is very rare and I want to do it right the first time . Being hard to find, it is a bit expensive to do more than once . Any advice or input would be appreciated . Dave , any input ?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Dave, Is that just a red on top of the orange, or a darker orange?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T Maxx Man
I have a Kyosho USA-1 body and I want to paint it all white just the real truck is but I want to do some kind of ghost flame . How would it look to do the flames in pearl white and the rest of the truck in just white ? Or would something else look better on that white ? I would like it so it is just faintly visable until you change the angle you look at it . This body is very rare and I want to do it right the first time . Being hard to find, it is a bit expensive to do more than once . Any advice or input would be appreciated . Dave , any input ?
Painting the flames pearl white, then the whole body white would look good! be sure to test on some scrap first!
Old 04-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Another good thing to use to practice painting on is clear 2 liter soda bottles. Take an empty one and remove all the labeling and cut it in half length wise. Wash out and dry. Then practice your painting on it. Works great and cheap.

Michael
Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mbunker
Another good thing to use to practice painting on is clear 2 liter soda bottles. Take an empty one and remove all the labeling and cut it in half length wise. Wash out and dry. Then practice your painting on it. Works great and cheap.

Michael
I got a feeling I'll use a few of these to get the look I'm after . It would be great if the flames are hardly noticeable until you look at it at different angles . That's what I'd like to see .
Old 04-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have sold the car, so i cant show you a picture, but the method i used was to first paint the flames with a good coat of holographic paint by spaztik, followed by the chameleon paint (i used blue-purple-green-gold-red) over the whole body, and then backed by black. the flames, and skulls changed colors like the body, but were much more metalic in appearence than the rest of the body. depending on your lighting and angle, you either seen them or you didn't.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JoelV
Hey Dave, Is that just a red on top of the orange, or a darker orange?
Yes, Faslucent red, then pearl orange.

I also did one for the same guy where I shaded the flame stencil with faschange red, then painted white (photos in my thread). The flames are totally invisible until the light angle hits the faschange red.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Shoe,
use pearl gold, yellow or orange tinted with the orange that youre using to paint your base color, practice on whatever you use to do your draw downs on (two liter clear bottles cut in pieces, the cut offs of other bodies, etc..) until you get what youre looking for. But, pearls are the only way to go to achieve the true illussions of ghost flames youre looking for.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite