Wiki Posts
Search

CHROME PAINTING TIPS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default CHROME PAINTING TIPS!

looking for ideas from different painters on how to prep and apply chrome paint on a lexan body without it pealing.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Dont scuff it, clean it with a grease removing soap, dont back it, dont flex it. The chrome will flake if you flex it to much. Other than that ive never had a problem with it. Which chrome do you use?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

spazstix.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

chrome paint is completely different from other paints. First of all, it's not really paint, but more of a colloidal metal flake in an alchohol suspension. There's very little adhesive property to it.

With this in mind, you have to treat chrome properly and differently from other paints:

(1) As soon as you back it with something opaque, don't try to peel any mask adjacent to it... it WILL lift.

(2) Once chrome is applied, you can't use any type of paint other than waterbased. Lacquer paints will dull the finish.

This is going to take a little more planning on design execution. You don't have to back it right away. You can can still use other transparent colors behind it without them showing up.

For instance, picture a simple flame shape with a chrome pinstripe. You can lift the pinstripe mask and apply chrome. Now if you back the chrome with black or white, when you lift mask for the flame body, the pinstripe will come up too. Basically, the bond between the backing color and itself on the mask is stronger than the bond between the chrome and the Lexan. I would just continue painting the rest of the flame with the intended colors and then back all of them at once.

Of course, if you can, just wait and do all the chrome last.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

I shot the chrome over a lettering mask and it pulled of just fine, didnt lift/peel at all. I didnt shoot any other color over the chrome before i took the mask off tho. I used the Spazstix as well.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Consider yourself lucky then.

On atleast 2 bodies I've painted, I've had almost ALL the chrome pin stripes peel off with the masking. I had to cover it all with masking tape and cut it out all over again.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i always paint the chrome last..never had it peel..use it a lot for window trim, but it has never peeled..i use spazstix for the chrome...
Old 03-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bmitchell373
I shot the chrome over a lettering mask and it pulled of just fine, didnt lift/peel at all. I didnt shoot any other color over the chrome before i took the mask off tho. I used the Spazstix as well.

yeah, if you don't back it with anything there are no lifting problems at all.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Ill have to play with water based backing when i get my airbrush back.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Tonight was my first body I have done is 4 years. Needless to say things haven't went to well. Mostly cause of that chrome. I decided for some unknown reason to do the chrome first. Looked great, sprayed my second color which overlapped, and presto lifted the mask for the third and off comes my chrome. Body went flying. So, now it all comes back to me...chrome is LAST lol. Now for the new brush, old thayer chandler went flying shortly after that. Iwata here i come...
Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now I use the Alclad II Lacquer Chrome for Lexan and have not had any problem with peeling and I back it with Black and I have never had it dull either