Wiki Posts
Search

Oil type compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Oil type compressor

I am planning on getting a nice loud and cheap compressor from sears. I understand I need a water trap but is there another type of trap for the oil or is the water trap enough? I am assuming that some oil might blow by and get in the tank.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

i think the oil only stays in the motor of the compressor, not the tank.

if your looking for a cheap one for just airbrushing and blowing of your car after racing check out home depot/ wal mart for a two or three gal. compresser with a "quiet motor". i just picked one up for $80 bucks at home depot. no oil, 3 gal. and its super silent.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

do you need a moisture trap with that kind of compressor?
Old 03-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by xxxtracer32
i think the oil only stays in the motor of the compressor, not the tank.

if your looking for a cheap one for just airbrushing and blowing of your car after racing check out home depot/ wal mart for a two or three gal. compresser with a "quiet motor". i just picked one up for $80 bucks at home depot. no oil, 3 gal. and its super silent.
campbell hausfeld compressor?

I've gone through 4 of 'em(until Wallmart wouldn't exchange it for anothe new one). Overheats easily.

...bought a real one....loud but heavy duty.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

i just got mine, so i cant say if it will have a problem. they said the old 2 gal ones did over heat too quickly this one that i got has a computer fan built in so it will cool it some what. so my buddy at home depot said this is a way better compresser.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the same problem with the C&H compressor. It would overheat and shut down. It did that one last time and never did recover and you can't get parts because those would cost more than a new compressor.

So I bought the loud Sears one and it's works just great for all the things I need it for.

All tank compressors should have a water trap since you are compressing and expanding the air which will cause condensation in the tank (that's why there's that little drain valve on it). The oil stays in the compressor piston area and doesn't go into the air. I like this one better than the C&H because it delivers higher pressure to blow the dirt off the car.