Wiki Posts
Search

Backing color question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? Backing color question

I'm painting an old '49 Mercury body metallic green. I know that with metallic colors especially, that a backing color such as gold or silver should be used. My question is, what would happen if I used black as the backing color? The reason being I want to make most of the windows black.

Last edited by Timbulb; 10-21-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

It will darken the Green. If you don't want the Green to change, back it in Pearl Silver, then Pearl White (Or opaque White depending on how thick of a coat of Green and Silver are on already), then black. If you back it with these colors, The Green should not be affected by the black.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If your green or red or blue is very light and almost transparent and you backing it with black, it will show only in certain reflection / light .
Check in the A to Z tutorial I posted here, You d see the transparent blue on the nose of the truck, it shows purple under the direct sun light but it doesn t show at all under others. I used white in the highlights, and pearl etc to make the blue pop in the flames .
That should give you an idea of how the very same transparent blue reacts with different backing.
Say i would have sprayed Gold behind it, it would have turned greenish.

If you want the best results doing candy metallic ( transparent + gold or silver ) you want to use lacquer based paint such as Spazstix or ALclad . They have a better transparency and are a lot easier to spray that water based one cause they are mixed to remain transparent.
They are more expensive and require to use a lacquer solvent ( Generic lacquer solvent from any hardware store )
ALso use a respirator because the solvent is toxic and will eat your lungs and stomach up if you don t.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yould could mask off the windows, do the backing color and then paint the windows black.