Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
How to strip paint off a Lexan body? >

How to strip paint off a Lexan body?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to strip paint off a Lexan body?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default How to strip paint off a Lexan body?

What's the best solvent to use to strip a body without damaging the lexan? Yes, I'm being cheap instead of buying a new body but this is for a backup truggy that I may or may not run.

Thanks, I appreciate it!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ive been told break fluid or bug spray? Not sure on that but the break fluid works good if you submerge the body in the stuff for a few hours
Old 06-22-2009, 04:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

if you use brake fluid make sure you wear old ratty clothes. the stuff stains everything permenantly.

you can also try brake clean if possible get the non flammable kind. first test it on a test piece of the lexan your going to strip. the stuff can clean anything up but might melt or cloud the lexan.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

There is no solvent for cured paint (that won't destroy the lexan, anyway). You can however take the paint off with a scourer on condition you go easy on the lexan and leave only superficial scuff marks. Once you paint it back, all the scratches will dissappear in the paint.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Brake fluid worked for me (using Tamiya PS paints). But you have to soak your body in it. What I do is cut a piece of tissue, place it on the body and pour brake fluid into it. I do this one patch at a time until I get the entire body done.

The paint doesnt "melt" but simply softens to a point that it'll no longer stick to the body and you can just wipe it off after an hour of soaking.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

bro its not worth stripping the paint off.. i tired it with the brake fluid got most of it off but it diddnt come off how i thought it would of... just by a new body