Search

Protecting a painted body

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Protecting a painted body

Hey guys,
Just wondering your thoughts and experience with ways to protect the paint in the body. I have heard a couple people says coat the boddy with a light coat of shoo goo. Others say use some kind of plumbing goo it is red I think.

I need something better than tape, so what do you think I should use?

Josh
Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Woz
Tech Apprentice

what paint are you using mate?
Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

The bodies are already painted, I would have to ask Mark, T. from paint monster. He painted the bodies, They look so good I want them to last as long as possible, so I want to put something on the inside to help protect scratches and wrecks.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Woz
Tech Apprentice

you could use nitroblock on it. Works great as a body protector if you put it on thick enough. tape over the parts that rub with fibre tape is also an option.

Warren

ps. not crashing helps too
Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I used Createx, Auto-Air and Fascolor on the bodies. I already sealed them with a clear coat, but it is still not enough to protect the paint from rubbing off.
Smear a thin layer of shoe goo on on the entire body, and put a thick layer and the parts that rub on stuff. It works very well. To make it easier when you smear the goo, wet your finger before you touch it. It would stick to you at all.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Woz
you could use nitroblock on it. Works great as a body protector if you put it on thick enough. tape over the parts that rub with fibre tape is also an option.

Warren

ps. not crashing helps too
Woz, I actually rarely crash, The other ppl on the track seem to love to smash in to me. That whole " let me race him to the corner.... wait I have to turn at the corner?" BOOM

Then you get the " how do you turn faster lap times than me, I am faster to the corner? Well using me like a bank does not make you go faster!!"

Haha

Thanks for the tip Mark, You know we did that in construction, Whenever you needed a good caulk line. Didn't stick to your finger and give you a hershey kiss tip at the corner
Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

I usually back bodies in rustoleum crystal clear enamel. To make my personal bodies last long I coat the inside with shoe goo, a little heavy but they last forever that way.