Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Help painting fine detail lettering and logos! >

Help painting fine detail lettering and logos!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help painting fine detail lettering and logos!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Help painting fine detail lettering and logos!

I am new to airbrushing and have been painting my buddies slash bodies. I have a craft robo and make my own masks. When I do lettering or fine detail logos it seems the the masks will pull up the fine lines of paint i just laid down. I scuff and wash all my bodies and I am using Auto-Air and Createx paint. Is there something I am doing wrong or is there a better paint for this application.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

The biggest reason that this happens is that your laying the paint down in coats that are too heavy. The paint forms a ridge that laps over the mask and then pulls up as you pull the mask. Try to go with lighter paint coats and be sure to pull the mask back onto itself as you unmask.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

and....dry the paint fully and let it cool again if you used a dryer.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys. I will try lighter coats and let it dry longer.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Jake there are also so instances where the vinyl is just too thin and too tight of a pinstripe or detail to get it to peal normally. This is one of the reason I do not personally like vinyl. Anyway, what I can recommend is to really think out your paint process for areas like this. This is really exemplified when you start working with colors that require certain backing colors. For example say you are doing a body and the vinyl area u are painting has the colors silver, black, white, and transparent red. If you think out the steps, u can really cut down on the number of layers. So say start with silver areas, u can pretty much back it with anything other than flourescents and you wont have any bleeding, its also pretty light. Next do the black areas, again u can back this with anything and be fine. Now you have transparent red and white left. If you can manage to peal all the red areas first, u can lay down the transparent, peal all the white and lay down the rest in white to kill to birds with one stone.

Now think if you had started with the red, or white now u have another 10-20 layers on top of that.