Airbrushing with too high PSI?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Airbrushing with too high PSI?

Newbie to airbrushing- I'm using an Iwata Eclipse gravity fed airbrush with laquer based paint thinned with 50% paint laquer and spraying at 15-20 psi using a CO2 tank. I laid down several coats of red followed by a couple coats ob black on my Jammin X1 CR body. It has been a few days and the paint job looks really nice, but when I touch or rub the inside of the body with my finger I get a lot of black paint dust particles on my finger. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I used fine sandpaper to get rid of most of it, but would like some clarity.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jesse M
Newbie to airbrushing- I'm using an Iwata Eclipse gravity fed airbrush with laquer based paint thinned with 50% paint laquer and spraying at 15-20 psi using a CO2 tank. I laid down several coats of red followed by a couple coats ob black on my Jammin X1 CR body. It has been a few days and the paint job looks really nice, but when I touch or rub the inside of the body with my finger I get a lot of black paint dust particles on my finger. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I used fine sandpaper to get rid of most of it, but would like some clarity.
Are you using RC/Polycarbonate paint?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes I am using Pactra laquer based paint and have thinned it with approx 50% paint thinner. It just seems to have somewhat of a gritty finish that flakes off like tiny dirt particles, but doesn't ruin the integrity of the finish.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jesse M
Yes I am using Pactra laquer based paint and have thinned it with approx 50% paint thinner. It just seems to have somewhat of a gritty finish that flakes off like tiny dirt particles, but doesn't ruin the integrity of the finish.
Your PSI seems fine. I think the residue is just paint dust. you can wipe them off with a damp cloth and you should be ok. If the finish is not affected, then you are fine.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Is it Pactra lacquer thinner, or generic lacquer thinner?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Generic thinner from Home Depot- "Klean Strip"
Thanks for the help
Old 03-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Seems unlikely, but I seem to recall one of the paint brands recommending that you use their thinner formulated specifically for their lacquer. It could be they are just trying for more of your business, but for the little bit we shoot, I'd give it a try.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

it's the pactra paints, must use there thinner. stinks like hell, get a good mask
Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've never used pactra's thinner in 20 years. Don't waste your money. I think your spraying too dry. The dust could be paint that's drying before it hits the body.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Please dont take my word for it, a local painter that i know use to paint with pactra, and he thined it with acetone, if you try this use some scrap lexan to test.
just my 2cents worth.