Wiki Posts
Search

Paint not sticking?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default Paint not sticking?????

Ok so what am I doing wrong here. Im using Faskolor waterbased lexan paint and a Iwata airbrush set-up. I was told you can spray the faskolor paint straight out of the bottle, even though I now see certain colors and metallics are thicker or thinner than others. Anyways here is the problem I have. I will paint let's say some simple graphics in black, let it dry then apply a solid color like a yellow, then I back it with white. Even after letting the body sit for a week if I take my fingernail and BARLEY scrath the paint with mild pressure the paint scrapes off the body WTF?

I wash the body before I paint with warm water and a little soap. Im in Socal so Im painting in ideal temps. What is the trick so the paint doesn't scratch the moment you put your body on the car?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by everyjuangohome
Ok so what am I doing wrong here. Im using Faskolor waterbased lexan paint and a Iwata airbrush set-up. I was told you can spray the faskolor paint straight out of the bottle, even though I now see certain colors and metallics are thicker or thinner than others. Anyways here is the problem I have. I will paint let's say some simple graphics in black, let it dry then apply a solid color like a yellow, then I back it with white. Even after letting the body sit for a week if I take my fingernail and BARLEY scrath the paint with mild pressure the paint scrapes off the body WTF?

I wash the body before I paint with warm water and a little soap. Im in Socal so Im painting in ideal temps. What is the trick so the paint doesn't scratch the moment you put your body on the car?
scuff the body with a scotch brite pad first, and then you need to back it with either faskoat, or a good spray can paint, I've found that Rustoleum flat black protective paint works very well as long as it's sprayed in 2-3 thin layers.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

The waterbased paints seem very easy to scratch off unless protected. I use fascolor faskoat. It looks like glue and smells like it too. I usually apply around 3 coats and then let it dry under my special paint srying lamp for about 30 minutes. After that the paint should last the life of the body and you wont have to worry about being able to scratch it off with our fingernail
Old 03-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Use a solvent based clear coat like Dupli-color, or Rustoleum if you are painting nitro bodies because the fuel will eat right through fascoat.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Mark T.
Use a solvent based clear coat like Dupli-color, or Rustoleum if you are painting nitro bodies because the fuel will eat right through fascoat.

ok thanks for the tip. Is their anything speical on applying it? Do you just wait for the paint to be fully dry and mist a few coats on? Thanks mark.

Brian
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

To be safe, wait 1 hour after painting before clearing it. I do 2 mist coats and 1 wet coat. Lately I have been clearing bodies about 15 minutes after painting and they were fine. Be careful though, say if you have one section that is only white, and you don't bother backing it. The White will shrink and crack from the clear. This has only happened to me with Createx white paint. But if you back it with pearl silver or any other color it won't crack.

Also...Thanks for the mask's dude!! LOL!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've never had a problem with this stuff unbacked.
The biggest problem is that painters are more ons. Me included at times.
The only tool we have is to put more paint on.
It adhears better in thin coats, almost transparent. If you put it on really thick the solvents dont escape and it stays soft. Most of my bodies you can see through with a bright light.
I scuff and clean thats it. Even with automotive euro's on lexan.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you use any chrome type paint dont paint with anything other than faskote.You can apply faskote full strength with a paint brush too. foam is for a nice finish. I always dilute mine down when I spray it and do many coats.if you use rustoleum I have had certain brand of fuel soften the paint and ruin a wicked paintjob too. just a little info from finding out the hard way. I dont use this fuel that causes problems so it never hurt me I just remind my customers about it. I also use a product called Zap-a-dap-a-goo SERIOUSLY thats what its called. that is awesome stuff. Most hobby stores have it. Good luck have fun. Darrin @ BCG Industries
Old 03-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

as soon as i finish painting I hit the body with 2 medium to heavy coats of rustoleum crystal clear enamel and I haven't had any complaints about pealing paint
Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Mike, you going to Indy with us bro? I hope so man